I took part in the Embroider Me to Sleep! Pillowcase Swap earlier this month, and my partner received (two days from St. Louis to Co. Galway, Ireland - not too shabby), so here I go posting the pillowcases I made.
My partner told me she likes mermaids and pin-ups, so I made an effort to combine the two. Thanks to my friend amaryllisroze, I found this great website, where I found these two pinups:
I took the two pictures, altered them in Photoshop, and came up with these:
(I couldn't get the merman's tailfin right, so I waited until I was transferring to do it by hand.)
Then I took the name of my swap partner and her husband, put them into this font (which I thought looked watery without being too pirate-y) (I can't remember the font name!):
I took both pillowcases and painted them with Jacquard Lumiere paints. As soon as they dried, I washed them out and dried them to color seal them, then got to stitching!
I used satin stitch for the names, backstitch for their skin, couching for the mermaid's hair, and chain stitch for the rocks and the merman's tail. I took on this swap because I thought it would be an easy, simple, no-big-deal type of thing, but then I just had this idea in my head that the mermaid needed sequins on her tail, so I spent more time doing those than I did anything else! In order to do them, I had to glue them down with Elmer's since it's water-soluble, then stitch. They kept popping off, but I got at least half of them done that way. Then, when I washed the cases, the glue just came right out.
I had a lot of fun doing these, but I made the stitches too tight in the merman's hair, and you can see where the fabric pulls right there. I wish I'd had time to fill in the mermaid's hair as well, but I thought it was a pretty good combination, with him having more detail on his hair since she had so much detail on her tail.
Comments, questions welcome!