My swap buddy's received, so I can finally post pictures. Yay! These are both kind of conglomerations of craft skills, but since I'm super proud of myself for tackling cables, I figured I'd put them here.
First up, the eyeglass case. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/427852069_5892278a59.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/427852875_a8c7c4712f.jpg
I knit it from this pattern
, except I decided to leave off the little tab. This actually took me three tries; I shrunk it too much the first time, and the second time I experimented with doing it on my nifty knitter loom, which didn't work out well.
It's sewn around a cheapy eyeglass case given to me by the eye center at WalMart, because I stopped to ask if wool would be bad for glasses, and they said yes. So they gave me the case, and I made the piratey goodness around it.
The eyepatch is made of purchased craft felt, and the jolly roger was freehanded with a stem stitch. (I think that's what it's called.)
On to the needle roll.http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/427852560_2112f527ab.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/427851230_d7fe223211.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/427849680_fc08ac504a.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/427850312_39256e6359.jpg
I made the case using the free Kable pattern from Berroco
. I was a little terrified of the cables, which I'd never done before, and actually never planned to learn EVER because I was so, so intimidated by them. So I had a couple of backup plans in place. But I decided to try, just for the hell of it, and OH MY GOSH. I DID CABLES! :O I think I did them correctly. I'm not really sure that I did it absolutely correctly. (I'd appreciate, in fact, if someone more experienced than me would take a look at them and let me know if they look like they're supposed to.) But they turned out nicely enough to be used, and I'm so, so happy about it. They really weren't that scary at all.
I altered the pattern a little bit because I've FINALLY started using the needle case I got on sale at JoAnn, and one of the things I really like about it is that there are two pockets for things like point protectors and stitch holders and stuff. Seemed handy, so I added one. This one's made out of a skully bandanna found at Wal-Mart and some leftover craft felt from the eyeglass case.
All the buttons are made of shrinkydink. I printed the pictures I wanted to use, then traced them with colored pencils on the (transparent) shrinkydink plastic before baking.