I have been busy making some Christmas cards. Firstly for anyone who loves cheesy Christmas songs, some cassette tapes. Outline machine stitched on to white felt, song titles hand embroidered, and then stuck on to card. I used the tape template from here.
Sewing machine trees. Using green fabric I outlined triangles on green fabric, and then playing around with the fancy stitches on my sewing machine added tinsel garlands.
Finally for MrTrekky, a festive narwhal! (and why not ). I cut out an outline on some holly print paper, used shiny blue paper as an insert, and then printed a header & footer.
Some years ago I lived in a really cold flat, and then my mum showed me how to crochet granny squares. I then had a brainwave that I would make a blanket for the bed.
Fast forward seven (yes, 7!) years, one discontinued yarn later (Sirdar Donegal Tweed), 256 granny squares sewn together with 12 rows of granny stripe border. And as for blocking and washing, nahhh, it has gone straight on the bed instead! Hurrah!!!
It might be sometime before I make another granny square
It is October and I am attempting to get prepared for Christmas...
Starting by knitting some very cute Christmas stockings. I used acrylic yarns that I had in my stash. Each took about an hour. It was good fun trying different strips. I plan to fill them with sweets and give them to friends.
The pattern is by Jean Greenhowe and is available free here.
I took the packaging from my fruit purchases and wove them in to a small tapestry. I actually prefer the back of the weaving, with all the loose ends sticking out. I like the concept of taking rubbish and turning it in to something pretty.
The socks I showed last Wednesday I finished - hurrah!
They pattern is from Wise Hilda, it is an easy pattern to follow, and the k3p1 rib produces a good fit. The yarn I used was from Lidl supermarket. This is the second time I've used this pattern, previously I used some drops fabel.
I found a piece of metal on the street (yep, I pick up random things all the time). I wondered if I wove around it would different threads take on the rust more than others? Here is it finished:
And here is what I did step by step:
It was submerged for a week. I thought that different threads would take on the rust colouring at different rates, causing a ring pattern, but this didn't happen. Different areas took on the rust more, with the warp taking on the rust more that the weft. I assume this is because the warp is less likely to be coated, as it is usually covered. However, you can see from the back the warp didn't take it up uniformly.
Now I need to find more random bits of metal to repeat the experiment, if I added a mordant, or changed the pH of the water, do you think it would increase the amount of rust taken up?
I knitted an Arctic tern! Arctic terns are amazing birds. They have a longer migration than any other animal, from the Arctic to the Antarctic!
The tern is for the bird yarns project, highlighting the changing migration patterns of seabirds. The pattern was written by Deirdre Nelson, and the yarn was a rich aran blue faced leicester supplied from Ardalanish. You had to knit the bird & then add a beak, legs & feet, with a request to use recycled materials where possible.
For the beak I used a cotton bud (a q-tip) and covered it in some fabric from some old holey tights! The legs were from disposable razors, that I cut to size. I then knitted leg warmers, using embroidery thread and 2.75mm needles (9 stitches in the round). The feet were made from a margarine lid, covered in felt.
I'm not sure Arctic terns & guinea pigs are friends!
My birdie is now migrating off to join the flock at Toberamory on the Isle of Mull