This was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my boyfriend's mom's dog. Better late than never! i got my cat to model it, since she's almost the same size as the poor dog.
This is the first project I've done that involved more than one colour, and that aspect was actually pretty easy. It was when I got to the top and had to shape the straps that it got tricky. The pattern said to work each side with a separate ball, but since I only had one of each, I had to rummage around and dismantle the whole ball looking for the other end. I ended up with so much tangled mess I had to spread it all out on the bed and hop from side to the other when I got the end of a row instead of turing the work itself around.
The pattern is from Puppyknits by Jill Eaton. I made it in some black acrylic stuff I had laying around, and the red sparkly stuff was sent to me in the mail! It was hellish to work with, kept coming untwisted and is a significantly different weight from the main colour, throwing the gauge off but it's very pretty.
Picking up all the stitches and knitting the ruffle took just about as long as the body for some unholy reason. I realized today I had no idea how to sew on a button and just kind of stabbed the needle back and forth until it seemed pretty snug and then tied a big knot with both ends of the thread. Voila!
(You can't really tell from the pictures, but the red yarn has gold sparkles/flecks in it, and is a much bighter, deeper red)