I downloaded this awesome pattern from etsy seller BirdifulStitches and made a kindle case for my co-worker and an iPod case for myself. The pattern has a pocket for the reader and an extra pocket for cords or earphones. My sister has a Sony ereader, so I'm planning on making her one too.
I bought a "jelly-roll" of fabric from Walmart, and pieced it all together. The original pattern has a loop and button closure, but I decided to use a magnetic closure instead. I felt the kindle case needed something else (since I didn't put the button), so I found a tutorial and made a flower for the front (I made it into a pin so that it can be removed if she doesn't like it). I put the flower through the washer and dryer so that it would fray and be fluffier. I also added a long strap to the case, which is not in the pattern.
For the iPod case, I added the wrist strap. I'm very happy with the way they both turned out, and I hope my co-worker likes it, I'll find out tomorrow.
We picked names for Christmas at work, and I have decided to make my recipient a case for her blackberry (case is designed for a Blackberry Tour, but will likely fit an iPhone as well). I decided to first make a prototype to make sure I knew what I was doing. Glad I did too, because I made a few errors that I need to fix. First, I made it too short (the flap doesn't come over far enough, makes it hard to snap it closed - either that or I need to move the snap), second, I made it too narrow (it fits my phone, but won't fit her's). I also have thought about using fabric at the sides instead of the webbing that I used. So anyway, here is the prototype, it also has a interior pocket to hold a debit/credit card or notes. I'll post photos of the final case when I finish it. Thanks for looking!
Open and full (with my phone):
Added: Ok I finished the other case, and did add fabric instead of webbing to the sides. I like the new one, but honestly I think I like my first one better, lol. In my first one, I used craft foam in between the fabric layers, to give the phone some added protection, but in this new one, I used that neoprene stuff, which is thicker, but makes the case bulkier (and harder to bend). Fabric was bought at Walmart by the way, it's my only source other than online, unfortunately, and now that Walmart has very little sewing supplies, it's not a very good source. I've also now officially run out of craft weight interfacing, and I'm not sure what I'll do!!! Guess I better find some online or go on a shopping trip.
Well, I liked this so much, I decided to try and make something similar for my iPod touch. I put less pockets on the side, and I forgot to put some padding in it for safety, but overall I'm happy with it.
My daughter's dance class is over next week and I wanted to make a little gift for her instructors. I found a tutorial for a journal cover here: http://sew4home.com/projects/fabric-art-a-accents/553-french-desk-set-journal-cover and after a slight alteration, made two of them. The alteration was that I made the seams go to the interior instead of folding it and sewing it around the outside with a top stitch. I used fabric that I had on hand in my stash and zipper pulls that I salvaged from old purses. Thanks for looking.
The two journals from the front, closed.
One of the journals open with pocket on the left, pen holder on the right:
Made three more, so I thought I'd show off . My daughter's friend has an iPod and a birthday in April, so I made her one, and well, since I was making one, I made two more. After all, there are other friends and other ipods that need cozying! I changed the button to velco, by the way.
Thank you so much for the tutorial! I made one of these for a friend of my daughter's for her birthday (I also made her a cover for her school agenda, that matches the wallet). I changed the zipper a bit by adding fabric to the ends like diyqueen did here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=176509.0 and I added the D-ring and a wrist strap (which is not pictured). Then I made 3 more because they were pretty easy and sewed up quick after I got through the first one.
Original back: (I embroidered her name too - by machine)
Genius! I envy people like you who can figure things like this out. I literally finished this in 10 minutes, including interfacing both pieces and putting in the snaps. Thanks so much for this easy method!
Bought this pattern last night, and it was worth every penny! Your tutorials are so detailed and easy to follow, it's hard to go wrong! I decided to shorten the strap so that it will go on my wrist rather than my neck. I put the hook part on the strap rather than on the pouch and I used craft foam instead of fusible fleece (because I couldn't find any) and it worked just fine. I just slipped it in between the outside and the lining. I used a covered button because I couldn't find one I liked, but I think I want to change it to something else, we'll see... Oh and I don't have an iPhone, I have an iPod Touch, but it fits just fine. Next time I might make it slightly shorter, but it really isn't necessary. Anyway, here are some photos:
Thank you so much for this tutorial! I ran to the second hand store and made a pair this evening. I love them! I had a before picture of the shirt, then dummy me, I deleted it. Crud! Oh well, it was a man's size large shirt. Here are photos of my results:
I don't know why my arms look so dark, must just be the light. Excuse the background please, we're still finishing our basement. Love, love, love these pants. By the way, I made the waistband from the sleeves.