So what turned out to be Love Bugs that we started out a few days ago turned into Monsters and other things... We used heart-shaped foam for the base, which was purchased at Dollarama.
Left: Brahmi wanted to cut legs for his bug but ended up cutting numerous bits of construction paper. We ended up turning them into the shell. Googley eyes and pipe cleaner make up the rest.
Right: Brahmi was having fun with the hole puncher! Googley eyes, feathers, the punched parts of the foam, and a popsicle stick for the mouth.
Left: I didn't have time to finish the one I started because I was helping the kids, and you can't tell from the photo but I have two layers of the heart-shaped foam with some space between them (I glued little blocks between the hearts). I then stuck the pink foam wings in the space and was starting to decorate a bit.
Right: Ava's last "thing." She was losing interest by this point, other than using lots and lots of glue. It hadn't finished drying by the time I took the photo.
Left: Ava was copying what I was doing. We used glue and glitter on the base, some black bits we found laying around the house, with googley eyes on top, feathers, and pipe cleaner
Right: My first Love Bug but I didn't have time to finish it. It looks a little big like a drag queen... The eyelashes were added with marker and the legs are some glitter paper.
Left: A collaboration between Ava and I! We covered the big blogs of glue with glitter, added a feather between the eyes, and Ava liked the look of a few popsicle sticks placed horizontally. I added the teeth.
Right: This was Brahmi's first experience with using the hole puncher. Then I had the idea of making a target. =)