Hey everyone, Currently creating a pop-up book portfolio for my fashion work and have purchased about 10 pieces of black mounting card in A3. It is very thick and I need to bind it together somehow. Can anyone suggest a quick and easy way of binding the card together?
Well I am pondering in advance my christmas presents as it takes time to prepare and make. One of which I am finding myself a little stuck on is my boyfriend.
He lives on one side of Australia and I moved to the other side this year and we both travel back and forth in uni breaks (him to see me and me to see my him/family).
Despite the fact that long distance can be hard, we are going very well and I would like to surprise him with something awesome for Christmas as I know he is already ordering me a Repanique (Brazilian drum) from Brazil. Which blows my mind!
So yes, I need something equally as awesome!
He is the musical director of Australia's biggest samba band, he studies pharmacy, he loves the beach and drinking, plays all kind of percussion and drums, is getting his wisdoms out soon (as am I) and likes many things brazil. Oh and he loves me!
Spent the afternoon sitting in the sun on my porch finishing up the hand-sewing on this little sheila. She is an alter-ego birthday present for my friend Rachael (who is a very quirky scene girl). Sock monsters never get old! Can you think of a name for her? I was thinking 'heebie-jeebie'?
Flew home from Sydney to Perth this mid-semester break and started the long promised sneaker customization my little sister Lani was begging for. All her friends wear them and she boasts of mine and wanted some of her own to show off. So we came up with a summer colour scheme and went on a craft shopping extravaganza. Two days later VOILA! These pretty little babies popped up ready for a soft-shoe shuffle.
We stenciled the swirls on using contact paper (not so good but freezer paper doesn't exist here), glued on all the sequins/frill edging/pom-poms, painted the laces and cut out little felt circles with pinking shears and centered with a button. She thinks they are too good to wear and is so paranoid things will fall off - but it as it is all super super glued everything should be stable!
I am leaving my lovely home/family/friends in Perth to do a 3 year bachelor of fashion design in Sydney. So I decided to give my boy a little something to remind him of me this valentines day. Original artwork by me on a CD case I made from patternmaking card. I got the measurements from http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/paper_cd_covers
The track list is all songs that I love (not necessarily all sappy) that are a mix of old rock classics/electro jazz/indie/pop/alternative stuff that all alludes to him/me/me leaving/our personalities. The songs are not necessarily sappy or mellow either, some are very broadway style/cabaret or upbeat stuff you can dance or enjoy singing along to.
I got accepted into the Whitehouse Institute of Design in Sydney and will be moving from Perth/Western Australia to study there the next 3 years. It is such a big change for me, as I have lived here with my family my whole life. However, I am ridiculously excited to see what awaits me in the next chapter!
I obviously wanna throw myself a kick ass party!
Theme ideas thus far:
* Eastbound (Southbound is a huge music festival that we just returned from down south. You camp over at the festival, there are all kinds of fun things going on and great music and people dressed up crazy) My idea for this is that the guests are given a camping pass in which at the end of the evening we pitch tents on the backyard lawn and sleep there. People can bring their own bacon and eggs for brekky in the morning. Also as I am involved in the local music scene I can invite any bands to play free of charge over the course of the evening. Heck I could even get my friends to do firetwirling or dancing.
* Whitehousee (the name of the institute I am going to) We can all dress up as political figures/bodyguards/secretaries and have wheelie chair races, drink serious drinks, eat serious food and dance around like hooligans. I can have a pin up/notice-board/post it notes that people can write little going away messages for me on.
* Sleepy Little Perth (what we call Perth when we return from any other city - because its small and not busy) Everyone can dress in pyjamas and perhaps sleep over too. Basically just like any other party but in our PJs which I think could be cute.
* Perth is Hole(it is, the most isolated city in the world) For this theme I thought the dress-code could be HOLEY/HOLY dress as religious figures, underground animals/vegetables, bogans (a bogan is slang for fat guy in a singlet/shorts/sweaty and dirty/drinks lots of beer)
* Perth is so Passe' For this theme the dress code would be to dress as snobbish and fancy pantsy as possible as I am leaving to study a bachelor in fashion design.
Anyway these ideas need EXPANSION... Tell me which you like best, give me any ideas you have for food/games/going away-ness/decorations
My little sister who recently turned 12 came into my room this morning asking for help with planning her party. We came up with having a Love Boat/Cruise Ship party as my dad invested in a boat this year.
The boat isn't all too big but has beds for 4, a toilet, a little kitchen and a lounge/table area as well as upstairs for driving. The most space is probably at the very nose of the boat.
The ideas we have had so far:
* Giving them invitations that are tickets/passports that my dad (dressed up as a sea captain) will stamp or punch as they come aboard.
* For activities the girls (only girls invited) could each be taught how to make an origami sailors hat out of newspaper.
* As it is a cruise they will be drinking mocktails made by the barrister (me) out of fancy plastic glasses topped with a strawberry and an umbrella
* At some point we will stop off at a spot where the girls can chuck some floaties in the river and have a swim where we will have lunch served as well (as to what that lunch is I need ideas).
Otherwise I still need help with some games (either in the water or on the boat) the fact that we have limited space here could be a problem, just nothing involving running around.
I also need ideas for food (cruise/sea themed), ideas for dress up, if any, and decorations (we want to go really extravagant in decorating the boat.
Yeah I know most of you are unfamiliar with this day of the year. But I will take some time to explain it here. Basically it is the best day of the year, better than Christmas or even better than New Years. Australia Day is devoted to hanging out with your mates down by the beach, chucking some snags on the barbie, playing cricket and of course drinking - a lot. I guess it is so great because there is not much pressure to have everything perfect and organized. It is really casual.
So anyway I am planning on having it at my house this year, inviting all my friends over. We have a pool, table tennis table, badminton net and a pool table. I was just wondering if anyone could help me in the way of some easy decorations/pool games/drinking games/food for hot weather...
My friend invited me to her birthday bbq but I got wind of it a bit late! So to whip up a present I made a bunch of dog shaped cookies in a little flower box with a key-ring poking out the top. I got the key-ring idea from another deviant, you may have to search for it. Mine has a love-heart and an olive on it (as her name is Olivia, we call her Olive). Very cute, easy and personal.
I saw a version of these on one of the members blogs on another website. Unfortunately her link no longer exists/works! They are just felt cut out in 3 circles with crimped scissors, I then sewed them together with my own femo buttons and super glued to a hairclip. I really love the way they turned out, they are christmas presents to my little sister/girlfriends. Then I am going to make a heap more because I am addicted to wearing them!