There is no danger of aluminum absorbtion or toxicity when handling melted CD-R discs.
Since these are 2 of the biggest CD-R manufacturers out there, I think we'll be pretty safe. I would still be careful of the fumes and use a seperate microwave or toaster oven outside like some people are doing, because fumes from anything are never good.
First off, I had a "doh!" moment- how smart to contact the companies!! Thanks for sharing the information.
You're right about the fumes though - I followed the link and read this at the bottom:
"Burning product may create a black and sooty smoke of uncertain hazard and composition. Wear appropriate respiratory
for toxic and irritating gases and aerosols generated by thermal decomposition"
While we're not "burning" the cds, well, not intentionally anyway, we are thermally changing the cds. I've devoted an old toaster oven to bead and cd melting and do it outside like you mentioned!