So,I picked up a set of four 9 1/2" square metal black trays from Goodwill for three dollars, and also a full length stretch velvet black gown for five dollars. And ended up with this. You can't make out the individual rolls, but trust me,they're there and the pins are nestled between them.
The basic idea was cut out fabric,roll it up and glue the edge,cut a piece of velvet and glue around the fabric roll, glue down in the tray. Don't do what I did and cut up a beach towel. A thicker fabric would have been much easier and made nicer rolls. A felted sweater would probably have been perfect. But, I was stubborn and used what I had.
Rolled up the fabric, used an old, bristleless paintbrush,i.e. a stick, to daub tacky glue on the edge. I put rubber bands top,bottom,and middle, or tied scrap fabric there. Made enough to fill the tray. If the rolls are a little too long, they can be trimmed. But yeah, don't use a beach towel. It is also helpful to know exactly where you safely put the good fabric scissors to keep people from using them for paper. Here's the empty tray. I used E6000 to glue the rolls down after they'd been wrapped,but hot glue would have worked as well, and smelled better,too.
Anyway! After making all the fabric rolls,next step.Remove the ties. Cut a piece of the pretty fabric, and you want it long enough to overlap the ends. Stretchy velvet was perfect. I ran a thin line of E6000 down one edge of the velvet, placed the fabric sausage on it, rolled it up, did another roll of glue at the edge to secure it, squirted glue at the top and bottom and mushed/folded the overlap down. Ran a line of glue in the tray,including up the edges. Placed roll in, seam side down. Repeat. Use packing tape to get the fuzzies off the velvet. Fill with pins to try it out. The first roll I made was saaad. I didn't roll it tightly, and I smeared glue on the velvet. Not perfect, but good enough, and the other three trays will be easier. And this was cheap! I'll end up with four trays for pins/earrings/rings for a total of 8.00, plus the cost of a tube of glue/hot glue sticks.
At Thomas Jefferson Unitarian Church, 4936 Brownsboro Rd. 23rdAnnual WinterFair. 80+Juried artists, www.tjuc.org photography,wearables,glass,sculpture,mixed media,wood,watercolor,ceramics,andmore. Chili,hot dogs, vegetarian soup and lots of desserts. Friday December 6th, 2pm-7pm,saturday december 7th, 9am-5pm. From the website-"WinterFair! showcases uncommon art for uncommon people. Fine art and very fine crafts at affordable prices in time for the holiday giving season. See you soon! (Church bazaar, we are not!)" I'll be there with jeweled mirrors, a few rayguns, recycled jewelry-especially key jewelry, and a few extras.
Found a plate in a very pretty shade of green at Goodwill. Also found a string of shells and a string of beads, and the gold shell clip. I had the loose pearls and shells in my stash, and the big pearly piece at the bottom is from a gaudy necklace a sister gave me. I even found some wire plate hangers I'd had forever. Small round mirror from the candle section at Dollar Tree.
Bought a red charger plate at Goodwill. Spraypainted it black, rubbed on some antique gold rub'n buff. Enter a Dollar Tree hand mirror. Heated a knife in a candle flame,cut off the handle. Glued mirror in place. Wrapped a chunky necklace of black and clear beads around it. Took a second necklace, of pearl and black beads on gold, and added that to the top edge of the mirror. Took headpins, threaded on black faceted bead, small gold beads, pearl bead, and gold bugle bead, alternating the black and white every other pin I made. Glued them around the edges. Bow at the bottom is made from three old earrings. Filled in the area around the mirror with beads. Gold, black, pearl,clear, ect. Brushed on a couple of coats of sealer. I still have to attach a hanger to the back. I freakin' love thrift stores. And all the people who give me unwanted jewelry.
I was playing around the other night,wondering what I could do with some big pieces of circuit board my nephew gave me. And did this. A mirror that goes under a candle, a locker mirror, two halves of a compact. A little copper tape. The plain side on the back was still a little scratchy,as circuit board is,and I was wondering how to hang it,and not have it right against the wall. I took a round plastic wall clock from the Goodwill,and E600'd it to the back. The clock was broken, so the little plastic gears from it were added to the front of the board. I spray painted the hodgepodge that was the back black,then sprayed on sealer. Just experimenting,messing around.
I saw something similar on the web,don't know where anymore. So I took the idea and ran with it. Old metal bangles,embroidery floss,glue,jump rings, and charms and beads.
I ran a small amount of E6000 down the top of the bracelet,only about an inch at a time. At the beginning, I also put a small dab under the bracelet. I'm sure any kind of glue would work for this. I started tightly wrapping embroidery floss around it. This is truly ancient floss! I also put a dab of glue underneath at the very end. Then, lots of jump rings. Some loose,some smushed on tightly. Then, jump rings with charms or odd beads. I wanted to limit how much they would slide around to half or a third of the bracelet. So, at the ends it was jump ring around the bracelet, jump ring with bead through the first jump ring, smush it tight with pliers so it'd stay put, do the same thing farther down, loose rings and more rings with bits and bobs loose in between them to slide around. This would look better with lots more jump rings, I may add more later. And of course you can skip the smushing bit and let them all slide freely. Easy, used up odd leftover bits.