So upon procrastinating today on writing my history paper, I sat around thinking about what I could make. I then thought of Princess Mononoke, perhaps my favorite Miyazaki film, and thought of the little kodama (http://www.cis.rit.edu/fairchild/images/kodama.jpg). If you didn't know, a kodama is a little tree spirit. I browsed the internet looking for a pattern, but to my dissatisfaction, I couldn't find a suitable one. What do I do now? I make up my own pattern, of course.
May I present to you, Kodama-kun.
He's pretty spiffy.
With mum's cell phone for scale. He's a tiny lil thing.
He turned out pretty swell if I do say so myself, for being my first pattern to make up and all. I'm not really an "experienced" crochet-er, meaning I've not been doing this for several years. His head's on a bit awkward, but I love him nonetheless.
Poor Kodama-kun is saddened by the rain attacking my town, though, because it means he can't go play in trees yet. ;(
This was made from an old quilt that was mine when I was little and some bedsheets that I no longer used. There is a pocket on the outside flap, a zipper pocket, an inside pocket, and a small side pocket for my cell phone and keys (not pictured). It's big and roomy so I can carry whatever I want in it, and because it's quilt fabric, it's thick (but to be safe I double-thickened the liner). It is my first bag of any kind, plus my first attempt at a zipper pocket (2nd attempt at sewing a zipper).
The inside, where I sewed a square from the blanket (it was one of those blankets that turned into a pillow) onto the bag to make a pocket. You can how well the lining matches the quilt fabric. Note the Calvin & Hobbes Revenge of the Baby-Sat book...
The lovely zipper pocket. I'm especially proud of this.
Close up of fabric. <3 It's very colorful and bright. =D
Action shot (sort of)! Curse my broken camera... it results in yucky cell phone pics.
Arigatou gozaimasu for comments and looking ^_^ Who DOESN'T love dinosaurs??
I hope this isn't in the wrong board, didn't know where else to place it. Anyway, it was exceptionally rainy today, which meant an evening at home indoors. Me being bored, I decide to do something crafty.
Anyway, it's nothing too special, just took the package + Xacto knife + clear packing tape and made it up. I apologize ahead of time for craptacular cell phone pictures (it made the colors crazy). The tape was placed on both sides to make a clear protective part for the click wheel and the screen. There is a slot in the bottom so I can plug it up to sync it without removing it from the sleeve.
So I have been lurking in this board for a while now, debating on whether or not I should attempt a freezer paper stencil. I'd not done any stencilling at all, really, but once I found the perfect subject for a stencil, I thought freezer paper would be the way to go.
It's Hyde, from L'Arc~en~Ciel (Japanese rock band, if you didn't know). He has solo albums out too. "Hydeist" is the name of his website, and I liked that better than just writing out "Hyde."
Done with image edited on the computer, added the words and wings. Acrylic paint, textile medium, y'know, what you normally do with freezer paper. There are some minor errors, but I don't really care.
Is it good for a first attempt at freezer paper (and stencilling, for that matter)?
If anybody makes one similar to mine, post it on here so I can see! ^___^
I didn't know where else to put this, so it's in here... but anyways!
After seeing that cute lil ipod cozy star thing on here I decided I wanted to make something similar! However my ipod is a 30g so it's bigger and a star wouldn't exactly work... so instead, I made a cupcake!
This is the front! Yes, the cherry has a face... the underneath isn't sewn down so I can put my earbuds underneath it when I'm not using them.
This is the front. =D I cut out some plastic from those bed-in-a-bag plastic container thingys and made a clear overlay to protect the screen.
The stitching isn't 100% perfect because I hardly know how to sew by hand, but I love it just the same!! I apologize for teh pictures of crapness, my camera is broken so I had to use my phone.
I actually had to make up some stuff as I was going from the body to the head, so it's kind of semi-made up on my own. I made the Harry Bear originally (out of blue worsted weight kinda stuff) and it turned out good. Either pattern works, but for some reason I wanted to combine them. It's knit on straight needles, you sew it together on the sides, and I knit mine in three days... so very easy.