I don't normally post in the completed projects, if I do, I preferring it being something so totally original, there is no mistaking it for stuff other people have made too...
so here it is!
I forgot to take photos of the process, but I'm going to try next time, as I really had fun making this!
The Steam Pin
(photo clicks to larger)
I've been teaching myself metalsmithing, and this was my first riveting project,
I started by cutting out the copper and brass shapes (took a couple tries, as I didn't like the first few shapes I cut)
then deciding I should have a bit more of an idea of what I wanted to do, sketched out some ideas,
Having finally decided what to do, I masked off various areas of the piece of copper, and sunk it into an etching bath,
This first one came out horrible, I wasn't careful enough masking, on my second try, it came out awesome!
I then used my little letter tools, and stamped the letters in the brass, and masked off the area around that was raised, and let the etching solution eat away a bit at the indents, to make it a tad deeper.
After they both came out of the enchant, and got a good wash, I used my own antiquing solution (my own special mix I use on all things I antique) to highlight the etched areas (note, the gears on the copper didn't come out quite as I wanted, but alright nonetheless) When that was done, I buffed up the surface just a smidge with a cotton cloth.
After all this, I realized, I wasn't sure how I was going to attach them, as I wasn't too keen on trying to use the silver solder (because that wouldn't look right!)
so I tried my hand at riveting!
I pawed through, and found some great little metal tubing (not sure what kind, may be aluminum) and cut two small tads off, and picked out a drill bit around the same size.
I lined the pieces up as I wanted them, and used a hand drill. I did this probably the wrong way, I clipped them together in my vice, and just went straight through both, which didn't really matter, as the bit I picked out was too small. So I got a larger bit, and then the bits o tube fit perfect! I used a small tapered needle tool (that I use with clay) and a hammer to close the rivets off, and there it was!
Of course at this point, my chaotic brains told me it needed more.. alot more.
so I used the hand drill again (this time with a very small bit) and added some holes along the bottom.
I finished it with bits of chain, watch parts, and little copper and brass beads, which just fit (I thought so)
Of course, I totally spaced on making sure the pinback was attached when I riveted it (*facepalm*) so I used a special metal glue (one of 4 I tried from Lowes) and it held, and held well!
The photos were taken outside, in half sun, half stormy clouds, so I wasn't able to capture it too well, but ehh.
There it is
(photo clicks to larger)
I'm definitely going to make more of this style pin,