As mentioned in the title, I made this -->http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=132553.0
post a few years ago. Well, I thought it was time for a new advent calendar this year when I found a big CUBE of foam!! Now, I don't this one is QUITE as fancy as the one from before, and that's because I literally decided to start this project 5 days before it needed to be done (these five days were during finals as well. lol)
So I learned a few things while doing this such as:
1) it will look a lot better if you have more than a week
2) my recently acquired dremel tool made cutting the foam ten million times easier (on my first calendar, i was in a dorm room and literally only had a dull pumpkin carving knife)
3) dremel tool + foam block = confetti!
note: I only made 16 box places on this advent calendar because my bf and I are only spending that much of december before christmas together.
now on to pics!
-I made these little boxes. I made my own box pattern because I hated all the ones online. each box is approx 1.5 x 1.5in
- then put them in their little cubbies!
- top view
now a couple of process photos:
-first, draw on your boxes. if duplicating this on a cube it is IMPORTANT to leave a margin slightly larger than the depth of your boxes. otherwise your openings will cut into each other.
- then use your dremel tool (or knife or whatever) to excavate the cubby holes
-(which then creates green confetti!!)
-finally, cover your cube faces with paper and cut out your windows [or cover however you want]
after that, i painted the inside of the boxes so they would be dark, but you could do whatever.