Seriously, when I'm all "Oooooh, that's a really neat piece of furniture; we could totally reupholster that," someone needs to remind me that reupholstering always takes, like, two to three times as long as I think it will. Yes, this is a lead-in to another furniture redo adventure. *grin*
Friday night, Ed (my husband) and I were driving around when we spotted this on the side of the road:
I just thought the shape was super interesting! We stopped and checked it out - I was surprised that it was solid as a rock, no wobble to that backpiece at all. Similarly, the foam was in excellent condition.
Now, it isn't that I have been scouting for a new sofa or anything. We have the circus coach we recovered a few years ago (and forgot to scotch guard so now I'm kind of out of love with it) and a Klippan loveseat from IKEA. But IKEA furniture being what it is... the loveseat isn't the most comfortable thing in the world because if you sit on the edge of the seat, the padding is very thin - all you feel is the wooden frame and that's not very comfy. Even so, I've just been whatever about it. It wasn't that I was in the market for a new sofa.
But when this one presented itself... It was 10pm, so we chucked it in the back of the Element and headed home. It got to air out overnight, outside - because I am always a little wary of soft furnishing we find on the curb.
Saturday morning started early with errands like going to the Bargin Annex of the Sewing Studio in Maitland, FL! Which is where we found the hot pink canvas for $3.99 a yard. We bought more than we figured we'd need (there will be supplemental pillows) to finish off the bolt, and we still spent under $40 on the fabric.
We had some other errands to run so it was mid-afternoon before we got started on the actual couch. Which was okay - gave it more time to air out. I checked it for bugs - no evidence of anything. Ed found a cigarette burn on the existing cover - and there was definitely some residual cigarette smell. So I'm glad it aired out some more.
Getting the back and the bottom apart took over two hours because there were hidden lag screws:
Once we got it inside, the dog spent a lot of time not helping:
She didn't help at any stage of the game. And one of the cats decided he was going to not-help as well:
I don't really have any photos of the reupholstering process - mainly because stapling is a lot of work. My hand kind of aches from the staple gun. It was so worth it, though.
We got the tension wonky in a couple of places - and I had to sew channels for the upright posts of the back to slide down into. Measuring for that was tricksy. So there are definitely parts that aren't perfect. But I'm still really pleased with how it turned out. I've got some round pillow forms to make a few pillows for it but I love the back being all plain like that. It's padded, so it's comfortable to lean on as is.
There are a couple of places where I'll need to add some staple-hiding trim. *grin* I know exactly what I'm using for that, I just have to get it and then spend time attaching it. It's kind of the girliest frilliest sofa ever, and the trim will just reinforce that.
And this time, we scotch guarded that sucker IMMEDIATELY.
Thanks for reading!