Last year, I made a bag for the Bottomless Bag Challenge and I called it the Grow-A-Bag (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=150364.0). A few folks asked for a tutorial and somehow over a year went by before I finally got around to making one. This bag is the result.
It is modified from the original (a.k.a. Version 1) because A) It is smaller B) I used Velcro closures instead of buttons and loops and C) I made a placket to hide the upper piece of Velcro.
It isn't perfect, because I made a few measurement errors (hopefully corrected in the tutorial), and I used a cheap shower curtain liner as the bag lining. I already ripped the lining, so I'm sure it'll need replacing soon. Fortunately, I thought ahead and used a large stitch width for ease in "reverse sewing."
The bag has 3 size options:
This bag measures about 12" tall, 10" wide and 6" deep, give or take. Even with the errors in measuring, I'm still very happy with it! It's sized generously enough for me to put a small plate in the bottom without it tipping over. There is also plenty of room for my assorted lunch containers and large bottle of water. And, the Velcro is much better at holding the sections closed.
The tutorial is posted over in the Version 1 thread, if you're interested. There is also some info about figuring out new dimensions for the bag. I included a PDF link, too (but it's a 3.5 MB file, so it takes a while to download!).
Well, after entering and then perusing the Macro Photo Challenge, I decided that I needed to play around with my camera a bit more. I let the camera do most of the work, but I think there is a way for me to exert a little more control...I'll just have to find the manual and do a bit of reading
Anyway, here are some of my favorites out of the dozen or so that I took. And, I realized that one drawback to macro photos is that they make the dust look macro too!
Yoda Toy (still in package)
Eileen "heart" Stan (This is etched into the glass of one of the windows of my house...from the original owner, I think...because the family I bought it from didn't have an Eileen or a Stan...)
My pile of watches
Tree Cookies (slices of tree trunks)
Light Switch (my house is in the middle of work...)
I didn't manipulate any of these photos. I have Photoshop, but I don't really know how to use it
Inspired by pesky pixie's post and the included tutorial, I made a pop top granny square of my own!
I essentially followed her tutorial, but then added another round to finish it off. It came out a little wavy, but A) it was just a practice one and B) it isn't blocked. If it stays wavy, I may use only 3 dc in each of the chains around, instead of 5.
To do my additional round, I did: 5 dc in each 5 ch sp (this is what I might need to change to 3 dc) 1 dc in the dc between each 5 ch sp
In the 5 sc crochet in the corners, I did: 1 dc in each of the first 2 sc 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in the 3rd sc 1 dc in each of the last 2 sc
Now to start collecting more pop top tabs so I can make some more
This is a tote bag that I made for the Reading Rainbow 4 Swap. It folds up and then unfolds to make a pretty good-sized tote. I modeled it after one that I had purchased at the grocery store, but I made the bottom wider.
This is what it looks like folded up:
And here it is in all of its unfolded glory
I did take pictures as I was making it, so I could try to make a tutorial for it if anyone is interested!
I made this toiletry bag for a swap, and I was so darn proud of it, I just had to show it off. It is far from perfect, but I didn't use a pattern- I modeled it off of one that I own. I used fused plastic bags for the lining to make it water resistant. It wasn't very hard to make, but I put the zipper in waaaay too soon, and made it much harder on myself. The next time I make one, I'll know better...I hope
So, since my sewing machine broke, the Christmas gift I intended to make for my friend's daughter just wasn't possible. I was a bit stuck for ideas since I was short on time. I thought I might be able to pull off a stenciled t-shirt.She loves animals and has had a couple of hamsters in the past, so I checked Stencilry and found a really cute hamster image. The only thing I changed was to give it a short tail. I meant to get a pink shirt and use some maroon fabric paint, but for some reason I spaced out in the store and just got white. But, from another project, I had some leftover copper fabric paint and it looked great on the white shirt!
I made the whole thing (from washing and drying the shirt to cutting the stencil from freezer paper to painting) in a couple of hours on Friday night. I needed it for Saturday morning- nothing like waiting until the last minute!
I was flipping through a magazine and saw something like this and, in true Craftster fashion said, "I can make that!" The original had 4 votives and a big bow at the end, but since I can't make a bow to save my life, I just snipped the ends. Once I figured out that I really did need to measure first, each one took about 5 minutes to make!
I found the pattern for this online (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/6340/sflaker2.html), but it had 8 points and, as a science geek, I just couldn't have that. So, I modified it to make it 6 points, and I eliminated the ring. It's a very easy pattern to make and I'll be making a couple more for last minute gifts!