After my recent attempt
at free-motion quilting, I decided to jump right in to something a little more challenging. A couple of years ago, I gave my brother and sister-in-law a Star Wars apron for Christmas. I figured they needed a potholder to match. I finally had the courage to try it!
I found a stencil of Yoda (it's a pumpkin carving stencil from stencilry.org), and printed it to the size I needed. I used a layer of black fabric and batting backed by a piece of muslin, and pinned the stencil image to the top. Then, I stitched away! I stitched each section separately, and pulled the threads to the back to keep it looking nice and tidy.
I used my Silhouette to cut the words from the fabric (backed by Wonder Under) and ironed them on. Sadly, the 'U' shifted, but it was ironed on and I couldn't move it. It's a little irritating (and my brother will surely notice and comment), but I didn't have the time (or patience) to cut the letters again. I also didn't have more Wonder Under, now that I think of it. I messed up the cutting on the first try (I forgot a step), and had to start it a second time, so there was no way I was doing it for a third time! I then used a small zig-zag stitch to secure the letters. The back is also a "sandwich" of the top, batting, and muslin. Stitching inside the B and R was a bit of a challenge, but you can only see the wonkiness if you look closely.
I had intended to bind it with black bias tape, but I couldn't find the package I bought, which turned out to be okay because I realized (when I found a package of yellow) that it wasn't 100% cotton, and may have burned or melted. So, I stitched, turned, and topstitched in the green thread.
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results, and I think my brother and SIL will really like it!