Growing up, we always had these plastic mesh dish scrubbies in the kitchen. I've had trouble finding them in the store, so I decided to crochet a dish scrubbie of my own.
I used tulle that comes on a roll. It "smooshes" up to make a thick yarn when you work with it.
I used a J hook for the first 2 rounds and an H hook for the 3rd round.
Start with a J Hook
1. Start with a magic ring and chain 3 into the ring.
2. Round 1- Make 11 more dc into the ring. Tighten the magic ring and join with a slip stitch at the top of the starting chain 3. (12 dc)
3. Round 2- Chain 3 in the first stitch and make a second dc in the same stitch. Make 2 dc in each stitch around. Join with a slip stitch at the top of the starting chain 3. (24 dc)
4. Cut the yarn and weave the outside tail in towards the center, but do not cut the extra length of remaining yarn.
5. Make a second one, but do not cut and weave the tail. Remove the hook and lengthen the loop so you don't accidentally pull out any stitches.
6. Put the wrong sides together and tie the cut tail ends together, knotting well. Trim off the excess yarn so it is hidden between the two halves.
7. Switch to an H hook and, holding the two halves together, single crochet around, stitching through the edges of each half.
8. Join with a slip stitch, then cut and weave in the tail.
I've made several of these, for family and friends. People are always a bit skeptical at first, but once they use it, they always ask for another!