So, when I went to visit my mom for Christmas this year, she had another quilting project planned. She wanted to make a baby quilt for someone (who actually just had the baby the other day- 10 lbs 8 oz!) and, since it seems that someone is expecting a baby at least once a year at work, I figured I'd make one, too, so I could have one all ready to go! She found a picture of one that looked pretty basic but it didn't have a pattern available because you could only purchase the completed quilt. We only had about 3 1/2 days to do it.
Based on the finished size of the inspiration quilt, we worked out the measurements that just about made it the same size. We changed the layout slightly to make it symmetric. Then, we figured out how much of each fabric we needed to buy, and headed to the store! We bought a little bit more than we needed because we grabbed a FQ bundle, but my mom has put the extra fabric to good use already!
We've been sewing together for a while, and I usually handle the sewing machine and the cutting, while my mom does the pinning, pressing, and trimming.
Once we had our fabrics, we started playing with the layout options. This is mine (the stack of fabric in the corner is my mom's):
We appliqued an elephant and some little hearts on the center panel. My mom had never done applique before, so she was impressed with the magic of Wonder Under! After I zig-zagged the appliques, I hand embroidered the elephant eyes and tails.
The picture is pre-embroidery...
That just about took care of the first day and a half (planning, shopping, cutting, doing the appliques). The next day, we pieced both tops:
Mine is on the left, and my mom's is on the right.
The next (and final) day, we made the quilt sandwich and tied each quilt. I sewed the binding on my mom's and tried to stitch in the ditch. I missed one spot, and after I left, my mom decided to un-stitch it and hand stitch the binding. I decided to hand stitch the back of mine, too.
My mom's is backed in light purple flannel, but because they didn't have enough for two quilts, mine is backed in a dark teal.
Because we stopped working after dark each evening, the lighting isn't great in the photos, but they came out pretty cute, and they were pretty easy to make. Besides the binding, the hardest part was the applique. And, I'll definitely use this layout for a few more baby quilts (I might change the dimensions slightly- I don't love the proportions of it- it's long and not too wide- the photos of the completed quilts are across a queen-sized bed).