Yay! I got the coolest doll from Sarcastra today (and she even included a piece of fabric with the pattern so I could make him an accomplice ). She based her idea on my love of cop and detective shows.
Prisoner Dotee #0142130
And the dangly bits are chains, and beads with a police car charm and a saw charm (handy for jail breaks!)
A while back, I saw the Arc Reactor Shirt made by pickled_peppers and knew that I had to have one for my brother's birthday. We decided to do a personal swap for one and when I checked out her wists, she had wisted a wallet in this fantastic cherry pattern and a handbag. I happened to have the exact same cherry fabric on hand, so I offered to make the handbag in the same fabric.
I cannot begin to tell you the troubles I had with this purse! I used a tutorial (sorry, I don't remember where I found it), but the measurements were a bit vague, so I had to do some figuring and finger-crossing. Then, it has a zipper closure, which I was excited to try, but I had misplaced my zipper foot. I finally had to buy a new one, then wait for it to arrive. When it did arrive, it didn't quite fit my machine, but I managed. Along the way, I managed to misplace the supplies more than once and run into other sorts of random obstacles (like my machine suddenly and randomly skipping stitches). And, the night before I finally put the final touches on it all, I pulled my back out!
I decided that the purse was possessed by a demon, hence the name...
But, all in all, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. There are a couple of things I'd change should I ever get the courage to make another one, but overall, I'm happy!
Because the pattern on the fabric is busy, it's a bit hard to tell but there are two pockets on the front with buttoned flaps. It closes with a zipper and has a 32" strap. It's lined with black fabric. It's about 7" X 10" X 4" big (or small...).
And, because it was taking me so long, and pickled_peppers was being so good-natured about the whole thing, I also made a little coin purse. It has a little loop so she can attach it to a key ring if she wants.
And finally, the root of all of my problems, the Demon Cherry himself...
I received my adorable Dotee, Sewphie, from AlwaysInspired! My pictures do not do her justice- she is adorable (I just love her jaunty little thimble hat!). Her face is hand drawn on a large black button, and her "legs" are sewing notions: Thread spool, bobbin, tape measure. And, I love the zipper down the front (I have a thing for zippers!). And, she hangs with rick-rack!! Too cute!
I have been at it again! This is the June Easy square! I really liked this pattern and I may make a big blanket someday in this pattern. It would make a pretty baby blanket, too!
I used a J hook, but knew I'd still need to add rounds, so I added one more round of the central pattern, and an extra round of the "dc1, ch1, sk1" (only I switched it so that it was offset). It ended up coming out pretty darn close to the right size! It doesn't lay perfectly square and flat, so it's harder to measure...
Only 3 more to go and I'm done with the Easy squares! Whoo-hoo!
After much success with freezer paper stencils, I decided to branch out and try 2 colors... I still need to work on this technique (and I'd love any advice!)...
I needed to make 2 birthday presents for today, so I decided to do each girl's initial and put some little images on them.
For this one, I stenciled the hearts first and then the letter. I ironed the freezer paper over the hearts to make the mask.
For this one, I stenciled the butterflies first and then because the were only on the borders of the letter, I only had to cut out the letter with the butterflies indented as a mask. I had some bleeding on this one and, because it was 11 pm when I was doing this, I forgot to put the center of the "A." I was going to put a white butterfly in the center (I had mixed the paint and knew I'd never be able to match the original butterfly color), but I was too tired to cut the butterfly. So, I used the "A" that I had cut out and ironed it down and put white paint in the center. But it bled horribly, so I had to fix it up with a toothpick "brush." It doesn't look to bad from a distance... and she's only 8...