Hi, I just made a fetish-y top and I took photos as I went so I could share the process of making it. You can click on the photos for a closer look via Flickr (and then if you're really interested in the hi-res version, you can click on 'All sizes').
the fetish top i've been making:
lining panels being sewn together, pattern pieces shown:
panels for lining (cotton drill) and fashion fabric (heavyweight garment pvc) now assembled:
i've just sewn the lining and fashion fabric layers down the seams, a little to one side - no stitch in the ditch for me:
detail of zip just having been set in centre back:
i've just sewn the boning channels; cable-tie bone shown also with rounded edge:
i'm in the process of sewing the pvc edge binding to the top of the bodice:
detail of sewing the edge binding at top (had to baste the corner into place but I now have a better method, turn the binding over so the right sides are together and stitch it square, then flip the binding back):
detail of marking end of boning, for figuring out where to put the edge binding at the bottom:
detail of finished edge binding at centre back zip:
the finished bodice part:
adding the harness (i had to do this in a hurry and didn't take more photos):
The pattern was a real slow pain to make, it was the first time I'd made anything skin-tight, especially as I have an asymmetrical back (a big scoliosis hump). I drafted a close-fitting bodice block to my measurements, removed all the ease, doubled the bust dart, added front and back princess seam lines, and fooled around a lot to make lift-and-push-together boobage (what boobage I do have). It took me 3 or 4 mock-up toiles with boning inserted before I was kinda happy with it. Of course, more bones, more seams, more lining = better bust support.
I bought a walking foot halfway through making the top, and let me tell you, they ROCK. Well worth it, I got mine from ebay! Leaves my teflon foot for dead when working with vinyl. And so much less shifty shifting around of the layers, when the foot has a top-feed-dog as well as a bottom one in the machine!
As for the hardware, I used leatherworking tools and supplies. I lined all the straps with drill, and then punched very small holes for the rivets to push through. This was to prevent the straps stretching and pulling the rivets out.
If anyone is interested, I can try to take a pic of myself wearing the thing. And if anyone's got any questions, feel free to ask, it's a bit hard to know what to explain. x