I made two purses for my partner in the recent Star Trek swap, and am rather pleased with how they turned out, so I figured I'd post them here.
The one I started first and finished last is shaped like the Star Trek logo/communicator. It was a bit of a challenge, since I've never made anything quite like it before. The silver vinyl was remarkably easy to work with, though I need to tack it down better next time before I sew it.
The other bag is a square-bottomed messenger bag, pretty strightforward. It's a little bigger than the other messenger-style bags I've been making lately, and I put lots of pockets on this one - there's a big flat pocket on the back of the bag, a nice deep zipper pocket inside, and a panel of flat pockets inside. I really kind of love this bag and may have to make one for myself. The lining fabric is so pretty, and the pocket lining fabric goes with it so nicely. ^_^
Front (I really should have ironed it before I took photos.. oh well.):
Interior zipper pocket:
Full of stuff:
No action shot for that one, they all turned out really bad.. Anyway, comments/criticisms welcome, as always.
Been making many purses lately, and this is one of my favorites. It is a messenger-style handbag, made of black velboa w/ cotton lining. It has an adjustable strap, three exterior pockets in contrasting fabrics on the front of the bag under the flap, and one interior pocket.
I started on a goddess kick a while ago, and started making little sculptures inspired by ancient goddess figures such as the Venus of Willendorf and the like. I'm not totally happy with the way they turned out (my grasp of anatomy and sculpting ability obviously leave something to be desired) but it's been a good learning process and I'm still rather fond of my flawed little fat ladies.
This is the first one I made, the first sculpting I'd done in about 7 years:
And the second:
I realized after firing these that I have a tendency to make their heads much too large for their bodies. Oh well.
At some point we're planning on doing a barrel firing, I can't wait to see how that's going to turn out.
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the ceramics or jewelry section..
A friend of mine has a kiln at her house and she lets me come over and make stuff. For a while I got onto this big goddess kick and made these pendants. This is the first batch, which I did free-hand. Since then I made a plaster push-mold, so they're much much quicker now.
I did these for a contest someone was running on another site, for people to draw her character(s). I'm generally not a fan of clowns at all, but hers are actually kinda cool. And I just couldn't resist the nifty dreads and striped socks.
These ended up being a lot of fun to draw, and got me excited about doing art again, after a very long dry spell.
Unfortunately, the scanner really washed out the colored pencilling, there's a bit more variation and shading in the originals.
drawing #1, au naturale:
and w/ photoshop background, for that distressed look:
drawing #2, which ended up being a little disappointing - messed up some of the inking and I'm not happy with the second character's face at all. too late to change it now though.
I fell in love with (and bought a little too much of..) this dragon fabric over a year ago, and have been meaning to make a bag with it ever since. It feels really good to have finished something that's been on my to-do list for so long. As a matter of fact, this is the first craft project of any sort that I've done in a very long time! It's the second purse I've ever made, and I am really proud of how well it turned out, even though there was more than a bit of a hiccup in the middle of the process.
I made this bag for the "We Miss Harry Potter" swap. I've never sewn any kind of bag before, and I think it turned out remarkably well, even with all the things I screwed up and had to fix along the way.
Firstly, I have to say this is almost more MonkeyThumb's project than mine.
But but but - I made my first poppet this weekend! She doesn't have a name, and she's not *quite* done yet - her hair is just pinned on, and her fingers/toes/girlparts aren't delineated - but I couldn't resist dressing her up and going outside for a photoshoot.
She was made with materials given to me by the fabulous MonkeyThumb in the Poppet Swap. The awesome clothes and accessories are also courtesy of MonkeyThumb.
Many many thanks to ghilie, of course, for sharing the wonderful poppet pattern! And to all the helpful and friendly folks on the craftalong thread! And my fantabulous and generous swap partner MonkeyThumb, for everything!