For my birthday for the past few years, I've done a Steampunk-themed party, and my friends are awesome enough to dress up and have fun with me. I make a full tea, we drink absinthe and play a themed game (this year we used my life size board game again, only altered for a new theme: Cryptozoology, specifically a Sasquatch Hunt). My character runs a company specializing in tracking & hunting cryptids, but also providing leisurely expedition tours. Thus, her style is somewhat practical, but also attempting to be classy...
You can see I made an attempt at some prosthetic make-up, with a leg wound, with exposed gears. Not the best, but we'll see if I can try it again and improve the technique.
Some pieces I had made before and are just part of my steampunk stash of costume pieces... the bandolier, the belt, the gun, eye patch, corset, Jack the raven's prosthetic eye, falconer's glove. The underdress in peasant style was new for this outfit, as was the bustle (I tried out McCall's Steampunk pattern, 6770).
Also made the hat for this outfit, by altering Vogue 7464.
(Just noticed I hadn't been around these crafty parts of the internet lately...)
My Swimsuit for the Summer (An imitation of Pin-Up Girl's Marylin)
Honestly, if you're thinking about making a swimsuit, don't let yourself be intimidated. It's really not that difficult! Especially with the ruching style. Just make an underlayer/lining that fits snugly (use a panty/underwear pattern/style for the bottom part and just make it a longer piece all the way up to above the bustline). I put cups in the lining, as well, for support. And then the outside layer/shell is basically a tube with a bunch of ruching. Finish, add straps!
I just tucked the back up under and sewed it to the lining for the retro shorts effect, but left it as the skirt in the front.
Bodice altered from Simplicity 4136 so that the built-in blouse is unnecessary and the bib and back is higher. Skirt from Simplicity 2401 with pockets. Since I used a plaid of limited yardage from my fabric stash, I had to simply serge the bottom of the skirt and add lace, because there wasn't enough fabric for a proper hem (or the skirt would be too short for my slip). Also, I had to cut the straps parallel to the selvage instead of on the bias (which would have given it the nice diagonal contrast effect like with the bands), but oh well...
Jacket is McCalls 6442, only without a full lining, out of a red plaid taffeta I had in my stash (purchased because it had been on sale and was pretty). The skirt is Simplicity 2656, in tie-dye/batik acquired from Walmart (since I had no TARDIS blue fabric). I made a stencil out of cardboard and created the TARDIS border with white fabric paint... rather sloppy, but I like the effect along with the tie-dye.
I've been steampunking pretty hardcore lately, and lovin' it! Here's the latest...
Susie the Tinkerer
Underdress in brown and white stripe knit. And brown twill utility belt with pouch. Prop wrench.
Smock in dark brown bottomweight with white floral embroidered motif, lined with brown twill, cargo pockets.
Smock laces down the sides through large brass grommets.
Coveralls! What tinkerer would be without a pair of coveralls?!
Brown twill one-piece coveralls. Detachable sleeves. Waist cinches with tie threaded through grommets. Asymmetrical double-breasted bodice that closes with ties and grommets. Cargo pockets on pant legs. Small pockets on right sleeve and right chest. Hood. Hand-painted gear motif on back (easily done with acrylic painter's pens. highly recommend these babies. I love them for so many projects!).
PS Did you see the snowflakes in the various photos?! Can't wait for spring to finally, well...spring!
So, when I found this vintage pattern in my friend's stash (http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Simplicity_6162), I knew it had to happen. In particular, that delicious smock top pinafore. And what's more appropriate for a pinafore, than an Alice outfit (because a girl can never have too many)?
The dress I made by altering a favourite blouse pattern to mimic the effect of the 70s dress since I already had to draft up to size the pinafore from the vintage pattern, and it was easier to approach from the direction. I actually made the dress out of free fabric my friends got for me at a thrift store discard pile, an ugly cotton seersucker, and then dyed it blue (first trial with Tulip fabric dye. It seemed to work alright.)
And low and behold, whilst perusing my closet, I can also rock this straight 70s style...
This is a steampunk variation on a 18th century women's half-redingote, and a de-stash project. These were a bunch of fabrics I picked up because they were shiny (and leftover high-quality velour, which I'm hoping comes off as velvet-like in this piece).
Velour Faux-Velvet bodice, red taffeta with black floral motif flock, cuffs and lining in silver and black plaid taffeta, black bias tape edging.
And my steampunk utility belt in black suedecloth with brass grommets and nifty brass buckle, with aetheray gun and compass.
Walmart find: These neat cut-out buttons.
I found this crossbow 'toy' online and couldn't resist. I got to play with my new woodburner and decorated it for extra fun. And wrapped the handle in leftover faux leather. It's actually quite powerful for a toy. You could poke someone's eye out, for sure!