A coworker of mine collects and sells vintage items, and she had some sample boards of trim from the 1960s that she couldn't seem to sell, so she passed them on to me. Sample board lengths of trim aren't all that useful, these ones ranging from 6 inches to 8.5 inches in length. But it was enough decorate some little simply designed wristlet clutches!
I love de-stash projects! (Although, I did have to buy a few zippers... no matter how massive a collection of sewing paraphernalia you've got, you never seem to have everything you need!)
My friend got me this cute Kawaii Alice in Wonderland fabric for my birthday several years ago, so I tracked down some coordinates to make a quilt out of it. I used the 'Suzette' pattern from clothworks.com (which no longer seems to be available).
For some reason, I had the urge last winter/spring to make a version of Leia's Vest from her Hoth Outfit. And I had a useful fabric in my stash, so win! However, the collar is not quite the right shape. I should've tapered the pattern I altered a little more. (And not stuffed it quite so much). Also, the gadgetry would really sell it if it was 3-dimensional, but I wasn't in the mood to cobble together something, and just used some acrylic markers on a piece of craft foam. Perhaps I will make it more accurate/3-D at a later date.
Here's a brief analysis, if anyone is interested...
(The Chemise and Bloomers are Victorian, not Edwardian, which makes the corset look more Victorian style in this photo)
Pink on Cream Spot Broche, single-layer corset, with spring steel stays, finished with bias tape, trimmed with lace.
The 'Pigeon-Breasted' Silhouette is achieved by the corset flaring out from the waistline and not compressing the ribs. Rather padding and lace is inserted into the corset to fill out the gap between you and the corset. I did not like/could not quite figure out how the pads (made to go with the pattern) worked... there were no instructions on using the pads, just constructing them, but I found this handy blog, in which the blogger/seamstress reconstructed a different style of padding to use with her Truly Victorian corset (http://wearinghistoryblog.com/tag/truly-victorian/)
TUTORIAL MATERIALS: -Fleece -Rotary Cutters & Mat OR Scissors -Ruler -Thread -Sewing Machine OR hand-sewing paraphernalia
1. CUT out pieces as follows: (either with rotary cutter, ruler and mat OR scissors) -20 rectangles measuring 6x4 inches of COLOR ONE (Hufflepuff = Yellow, Gryffindor = Gold, Ravenclaw = Pewter, Slytherin = Silver) -18 rectangles measuring 6x4 inches of COLOR TWO (Hufflepuff =Black, Gryffindor = Red, Ravenclaw = Royal, Slytherin = Green) -4 squares measuring 6x6 inches of COLOR TWO
2. Using scant* 1/4 inch seams, SEW pieces for one side/length together, alternating colors, so that you have used 10 Color One (Yellow in the example) and 9 Color Two (Black in the example). Sew the larger/square pieces on the ends (Black in this case). REPEAT for the other side/length.
*SCANT in sewing terms means that you're erring on the inside, so that your stitching line would be on the inside of 1/4 inch. The seam allowance (fabric on the inside of the stitching line) will be less than 1/4 inch in this case... more like 3/16 inch.
Make sure seams are all on the same (wrong) side
3. Place the two sides/lengths with Right Sides together, and SEW long sides with scant 1/4 inch seams.
4. TURN scarf right side out (so all the seam allowances are inside).
PRESS (carefully, on low setting, fleece is essentially plastic and will melt.)
5. CUT fringe on both ends, through both layers of fleece, about 2 inches deep.
6. Attend Quidditch match and declare your house pride!
This was a gift for my room mate, and when I went to take photos of it, she said my dress form looked like it was 'ready for school'.
It's not a large backpack, and the straps are not adjustable, but it is cute (not too challenging a pattern with a clean finished product -no visible seams inside or out). The fabric was a spoonflower print by Dennis the Badger on canvas (http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1906078) -not affiliated, just love the site and the artist. Because I opted for a canvas fabric, I forwent (wow, that really is the proper conjugation of 'forgo') with the 'sew-in hair canvas' interfacing, and just used regular medium fusible pellon, and then used the fusible fleece for the second interfacing (that adheres to the lining) as prescribed.
Simplicity 1495, downloadable version, in corduroy and polka dot cotton. This pattern is pretty nifty, has some great details. Side pockets as well as inside pockets, the bow with buckle, and tab/clips to hold the top closed.