This could possibly be the single most raddest thing I've ever made.
I was inspired by the cover art of Douglas Adam's The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide which I took out of the local library.
It's a wee bit sloppy, but not bad for entirely winging it!
Detail of appliqued face.
Me modeling it!
I put some stencil plastic in between the lining and outside to strengthen it and it has a seven inch zipper at the top to close it. The arms/straps are attached with matching green buttons, again to give strength to them.
Nothing is wrong with being pregnant...except that I'm not! And looking like I am could make for some very uncomfortable situations :-/
I am afraid that I must apologize for being an apologizer as well. I am horribly self-effacing, and tend to say "I'm sorry" for everything, even for things entirely out of my control. It's a bad habit I have that I cannot seem to break.
As per usual method, paper with fusible interfacing, embroidery details on pieces as desired, attach pockets, machine baste the linings to the outside and inside pieces (this time 5" x 11" strips), attach velcro, hand sew together (buttonhole stitch) with embroidery floss and voila!
I decided to use simplicity pattern #3826. It is one of the adjustable cup sizes ones, which is awesome because otherwise I think I would've had a case of squished bosom, or it would fit in the chest and be really baggy around the waist and middle.
(ignore my not-so-happy face...I'm really not that mean, honest!)
I had to make a slight adjustment, adding less than half an inch of material around the zipper because I was too fat. I knew it was going to be a hair too small because I had to use the 5/8" seam allowance (I usually don't because you have to snip them down and it's waste of material) in order to make casing for the boning. So I feel that it's kind of sloppy as a result of that and maybe I'll make a shrug/jacket thing to wear over the shoulders and back to hide the sloppiness. It's not hemmed yet...waiting to get shoes first. But not bad for less than $30 in materials... (plus it was fun to make)
I got some $1/yd fabric from Walmart. Since it was only a dollar, I said what the hey! Give me six yards. I used the Simplicity Regency gown pattern (I have used before to make an actual regency dress for halloween), only shortened the length of the skirt. It makes me look slightly fatter than I actually am (and kind of pregnant-eek! that's not cool), but it's really lightweight and was perfect for that really hot, humid day. I haven't sewn the red bow on yet, I'm debating whether I like it or not.
It makes me feel like a doll or little girl. But it was fun even to just wear around the house :-)
If I had discovered the awesomeness of making your own clothing in highschool (particularly that you could be as outrageously brilliant as your taste apparently is!) maybe I would have gone to my prom.
Anyway, very nice! You rock! Don't ever lose that uniqueness!!
Very nice! I'm not usually a fan of victorian but your choices were awesome. I really like the black and white. It really *pops* rather than the typical neutral colors one associated with that cut/style clothing. Good job!
[I was wondering where you got the awesome feather for the cat's hat :-) I have a tricorner which is nice and colonial, but lacking such a feather, it doesn't feel pirate-y when I want it too.]