Jacket is McCalls 6442, only without a full lining, out of a red plaid taffeta I had in my stash (purchased because it had been on sale and was pretty). The skirt is Simplicity 2656, in tie-dye/batik acquired from Walmart (since I had no TARDIS blue fabric). I made a stencil out of cardboard and created the TARDIS border with white fabric paint... rather sloppy, but I like the effect along with the tie-dye.
I've been steampunking pretty hardcore lately, and lovin' it! Here's the latest...
Susie the Tinkerer
Underdress in brown and white stripe knit. And brown twill utility belt with pouch. Prop wrench.
Smock in dark brown bottomweight with white floral embroidered motif, lined with brown twill, cargo pockets.
Smock laces down the sides through large brass grommets.
Coveralls! What tinkerer would be without a pair of coveralls?!
Brown twill one-piece coveralls. Detachable sleeves. Waist cinches with tie threaded through grommets. Asymmetrical double-breasted bodice that closes with ties and grommets. Cargo pockets on pant legs. Small pockets on right sleeve and right chest. Hood. Hand-painted gear motif on back (easily done with acrylic painter's pens. highly recommend these babies. I love them for so many projects!).
PS Did you see the snowflakes in the various photos?! Can't wait for spring to finally, well...spring!
So, when I found this vintage pattern in my friend's stash (http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Simplicity_6162), I knew it had to happen. In particular, that delicious smock top pinafore. And what's more appropriate for a pinafore, than an Alice outfit (because a girl can never have too many)?
The dress I made by altering a favourite blouse pattern to mimic the effect of the 70s dress since I already had to draft up to size the pinafore from the vintage pattern, and it was easier to approach from the direction. I actually made the dress out of free fabric my friends got for me at a thrift store discard pile, an ugly cotton seersucker, and then dyed it blue (first trial with Tulip fabric dye. It seemed to work alright.)
And low and behold, whilst perusing my closet, I can also rock this straight 70s style...
This is a steampunk variation on a 18th century women's half-redingote, and a de-stash project. These were a bunch of fabrics I picked up because they were shiny (and leftover high-quality velour, which I'm hoping comes off as velvet-like in this piece).
Velour Faux-Velvet bodice, red taffeta with black floral motif flock, cuffs and lining in silver and black plaid taffeta, black bias tape edging.
And my steampunk utility belt in black suedecloth with brass grommets and nifty brass buckle, with aetheray gun and compass.
Walmart find: These neat cut-out buttons.
I found this crossbow 'toy' online and couldn't resist. I got to play with my new woodburner and decorated it for extra fun. And wrapped the handle in leftover faux leather. It's actually quite powerful for a toy. You could poke someone's eye out, for sure!
This was my first time playing with a Burda pattern.
I like the pattern, especially the accessories options. I felt the instructions took a little getting used to, but I don't tend to actually follow them any more anyway. This fabric I found at Jo-Ann Fabrics and absolutely loved. The hand was so soft, it was a heavier brushed poly-cotton blend. Just lovely. Funny thing was, I saw this fabric in a different Jo-Ann fabrics later and as I usually do, I went to touch it and was completely disgusted by the nasty feel. Looks like I got some of the good batch.
I don't live by the ocean, but I still immensely enjoy Mrs. Lovett's red stripe dress from the 'By The Sea' sequence in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd. Halloween seemed the perfect excuse to indulge my desire to reproduce the costume, and dress up in crazy make-up and have oodles of fun!
What I made:
Corset & Bustle (I had made these previously for my Steampunk costumes)
Under bustle petticoat (used Laughing Moon #102)
Over bustle petticoat (same as the skirt, only done in muslin)
Skirt (drafted from 'Authentic Victorian Fashion Patterns' book)
Bodice (drafted using reference photos found here: http://www.costumersguide.com/sweeney5.shtml) With Hand-pleated organza trim on the the cuffs, and hand-pleated organza on the center front, lace sewn onto the centerfront with hand-embroidery chain stitch.
The Fabric: I noted there were three different stripe patterns (a red candy stripe with one, two and three pink-white center stripe variations) used in the dress, and because I can be obsessive, I decided to try out spoonflower and designed the fabric myself. (I nearly died from joy when I came across this website that allows you to design and upload your own patterns for fabric... finally, when I just can't find that perfect fabric, I'll have an alternative. BTW, not affiliated with them, just find them to be an incredibly useful sewing resource)
The Trim: about fifteen yards of organza strips, picot-edged in white using my overlock serger, ruffled and then sewn onto the top of the sleeve cuffs, along the bodice center front and neckline, the top edges of both skirt ruffles.
Meat Pies: In miniature... because they're a necessary accessory to any Mrs. Lovett costume!
What I altered:
Umbrella: started out as a plain white umbrella, decorated by hand with an acrylic painters pen, and trims with hand-pleated organza
What I didn't make:
Crochet Fingerless Gloves: Got them from an etsy artisan