So I really enjoy making little voodoo dolls, and I'm always on the lookout for unusual things to make them from. Why not an egg? He also doubles as a pincushion and pomander! Mmmm...a voodoo doll that smells good when you stab him with pins. Pure yolk-magic!
I started with a plain Easter egg. Blue. Made some arm and leg holes, then made some arms and legs by sewing tubes of cloth, and stuffing them through the holes.
Then I painted on a sugar skull face. Glued on google eyes. Added a nice leather fringe skirt. Added raffia hair. ( I started with Easter grass hair, but that did not work well at all! What a mess!) And then some lovely feathers for a headdress and a magic fan.
Being an Easter egg, one of his favorite games is hide and seek.
Here he is shyly peeking from behind his feathered fan;
And again hiding in the houseplants:
Finally, I caught him and added the last details, a jewel at his 'waist' and a pattern on his headband;
Here is where he hides his pins. I made a small cushion to fit the bottom of the egg, weighted it with sawdust so he'll sit upright, and added spices for scent.
Here he is hiding in the sewing box, (seated atop, of course, a box of pins) wondering why he didn't get any seed pearls like some of his brothers. ( the body of a doll-in-progress is visible through the sewing tray.)
Now he rules his new kingdom from his turtle shell throne, ( don't worry, no turtles were harmed to take this picture, that shell was found in the woods many years ago.)
Hope you like him. He was fun to make, and I'm sure I'll be making more egg dolls in the future.
So recently my sister and I bought jeans on sale that looked exactly alike. Being selfish and siblings though, we don't want to share whenever we get them mixed up, so I decided to decorate mine with a funky flower. I was inspired by a pattern I found somewhere online once, but lost.
Anyhow, here it is. Now I did this without a hoop, so the stitches aren't as smooth as I would prefer. But then again, I couldn't get my hand, a hoop and my good intentions all up that pants leg either.
Full shot, backgrounded by my lovely washing machine. Note the presence more lines on the fabric that did not get embroidered in or washed out. ( yet)
Closer. Thanks to the fabric texture the circles did not turn out completely circular, which drives me nuts.
Even closer...love my zoom button.
Picture of the 'grass' under the flower stem. I embroidered that first and almost quit there, the stripes looked so good. ( in my not-quite-humble-enough opinion )
And an in-progress shot for the fun of it.
For us stitch geeks, I used chain-stitch, satin stitch, and outline stitch for the bulk of the stitches. ( yes, all those solid circles, and the stems are satin stitched, because I am ambitious, but not bright.) There is one incidence of back stitching in a top circle, and one bottom one has a brown eyelet.
So please tell me that one light blue circle on the right doesn't look too distorted! I'd rather die than pick out those stitches. Okay maybe not die...but something close, like...losing my favorite needle?
I'm probably going to add some more of those bubbles on the back pockets as accents later on.
So...I am about to begin a very daunting task of personal betterment and decided to make myself an amulet bag...just for good measure. I wanted something without beads, and in an interesting shape. This was supposed to look like a miniature duffel or ye olde money bag, but I think it rather resembles a pickle. What do you think?
This is the front. I found this really pretty green cloth for twelve cents in the remnant bin. I love the openwork stripes in it.
The side stripes:
It's not very big either...( The drawstring is kind of lame, but it was what I had on hand.)
I mean of course, that the hummingbird was torturing me, not the other way around!
This project was a pain in the pinfeathers, but I started it for my grandmother and I made myself finish it for her.
The pattern was a Dover freebie. The colors and stitch ideas were my own, so therefore, not as good as they could have been. I got a little lazy with the greens. The pictures aren't great because the cloth was uncooperative, the weave was not very good ( but it was the only natural color I could find that day!)
Here she is incompleted:
This leaf center ( left) is done by weaving the thread through cross-bars. Don't know if it has a name:
And it's small too:
Satin stitch Long and Short stitch Eyelet Chain stitch Outline stitch ( the stems are all rows and rows of outline in varying shades) Backstitch Split Stitch Woven Spider wheels ( I love these things) Wheatear stitch Fly stitch Feather stitch Straight stitch Knotted stitch Couching Tapestry Stitch Double Laced Backstitch Laced chain Laced backstitch Double-laced backstitch Backstitched chain Coral Stitch Forbidden Knot
I was rooting around in my closet and found a few finished embroidery projects! A couple of years ago, I got in a big way of buying baby dresses at thrift stores and re-decorating them. I call this one my ABC dress, because whoever made it, ( it's hand-made), used ABC material for the trim. It's cute.
I added the flowers at the yoke, and the butterfly on the skirt. It's done in satin stitch, chain stitch, and outline stitch.
Full shot: ( ignore my dirty floor.)
I'll have to pick them back up...there are always baby girls needing pretty dresses in this world!