I realize my last entry to a Craftster challenge was also a knit soaker for my daughter, and I swear that my intent this time around was to do something different. In fact, I spent an absurdly long time in October working in Excel at reverse-engineering and recoloring the Autumn Rose chart working from some close-up photos of other knitters' works-in-progress. However, reality set in around Halloween when my Mom called and said, "Do you have any warm clothes for Miss V for your visit?"
At that point I realized that, despite the apparently wasted time on Autumn Rose, this was OPPORTUNITY! I am a Hawaii knitter. I love wool's springy, lofty feel, so forgiving of variation in tension, so happy to take up Kool-Aid in a wide variety of lovely colors. But so, so warm. Finally, I needed to knit something warm. As they say in Bedrock, YABBA-DABBA-DOOOOOO!
I dove in, grabbing three skeins out of stash, and then a half ball of off-white Cascade 220 just since I am pathologically incapable of knitting with just one color of yarn (even when the one is a variegated). I cast on. I joined. I knit a couple rounds in my purple-pink-green-lilac loveliness. Then I paused and ripped it all out and said to myself, "Self, it's time to learn corrugated ribbing."
And thus the adventure began. I learned corrugated ribbing. I got the waistband done and thought, hmm, what next. I still had a lot of the Cascade 220 to spare, and I remembered the Snowflake Socks pattern from IK Fall 2007. I grabbed the magazine, looked up the chart, and counted up my stitches. By sheer luck, I was within 2 stitches of the right multiple. I did a couple increase rounds (which I needed anyway to accommodate Ms. Bulky Butt) and jumped into the chart.
And only then did I realize that, once again, my challenge entry was going to be another diaper soaker. Ahh well... I love it, it fits Miss V perfectly, and I learned some new techniques. Autumn Rose can wait. Until then, here are my Snowflakes and Lilacs.
And of course, the guts of it: