I am (slowly) working my way towards making a real corset, and thought this one would be good for practice. I really, really liked the shape of it! I sewed it from double layers of canvas, and skipped the boning because this was just a mock-up. Instead of sewing it right-sides I just sandwiched the layers and added bias tape around the edges.
But I didn't take any pictures of it on me because the fit. was. so. bad. I have a long torso, and there were no lengthen/shorten lines. If this thing is placed under my bust, the waistline is above my natural waist; if it's at my waist, it's like wearing an ice cream cone; also, I made the muslin a size smaller than the pattern suggested (taking into account the extra seams allowances from not turning it out), and it was too big. Sized it down again, still too big. Sewed more into the seam allowance, still too big.
So...yeah. Not thrilled with it. If you have a nice, normal-length torso, though, it might be alright once you figure out what size to make.
Making a test vest for the Ren Faire! I'm pretty happy with how this turned out; the pattern was very easy to follow, although I didn't follow it exactly; instead of sewing it right-sides together and then turning it out, I sewed them wrong-sides and added bias tape around the edges.
It's very much a costume vest, and didn't hold it's shape well, so I added boning to the front & side seams.
It only had five pieces, and although I'm not thrilled with how the shoulder straps like to turn out, that may be because of my general flat-chestedness...ess ess ess.
Aaaaaaaaand the back.
It's leftover upholstery fabric and cotton, with industrial zip ties for the boning. I had to go ask some nice old guy wearing a 'World's Best Grandpa' pin at Home Depot for it. He was nice, if a little bemused by my request.
Thanks craftydebs! In those pictures it's just covered by some blankets, but I have made a long cushion and I'm sewing one of three 30" pillows today.
Again, sorry for the cell phone pics; my camera's *still* in the shop. The cushion's made of some upholstery fabric I got for free and two 5lb boxes of fiberfill; I'm debating adding another. It's sewn very simply, I just measured it to fit the platform and sewed 'knife edge' corners to make it box-shaped.
The kids use it as a stage when they play their dancing Wii games, and the little ones crawl under there and play with their toys so they're not underfoot. Hubby & I have even been sleeping on it. If I had really been thinking, I would have made it tall enough to slide my NordicTrack underneath, but it's a few inches to short.
We did this as a school activity yesterday! I didn't have a plate or basket but I had these little rattan balls from the dollar store. They worked really well, and the kids just used the eraser end of a pencil to poke the bits of yarn and fabric into the balls. They're not as wreath-like and pretty as yours, but the kids had a ton of fun with them.
They're hanging by our bird feeder and I've seen several birds visit them. This is SUCH an awesome idea, Lunamadre! Thank you!!
I hate the idea of traditional couches and kids. I can't have something that costs hundreds of dollars, is filled with complex mechanisms and can't be easily cleaned left to the mercies of my five kids and two dogs. I told the man what I wanted and he built it from scrap wood we found in the $.50 bin and some leftovers we had in the backyard. Mostly pine, probably. It took about 5 hours altogether.
I wanted something like the bench/sofas I'd seen in some of the older hotels in Thailand; Big enough to sit on, long enough to lay on, and deep enough for several people to curl up. Sans all the intricate carving, delicate upholstery and satiny finishes.
It's always a little scary asking him for stuff like this because there is no plan, no carefully drawn blueprint, no anal-retentive measuring and re-measuring. He just wings it, but it comes out so well! The whole thing cost about $40. $40 and the power of love.
Now it's up to me to make a bunch of big ass cushions so that we can stack them up and play fort.
I have a metric butt-load of cast off clothing in my attic, and I was sorting though them this morning. Unfortunately my son tears up jeans to the point that they really can't be re-used or repaired, so I thought I'd try repurposing them into something new.
Behold, my creation. (GRAAAAAAAH!)
I've got a jalapeno in one leg and a bell pepper in the other; if I was really clever I would have trimmed & gathered the bottom of each leg, but today is more of an "aw, screw it." type day.