Anyways, for this swap, I decided to make a pincushion or a needlebook... I was wiffle waffling on how and the theme, when I remembered I had done a mad hatter matchbox awhile back and maybe I could take that and convert it into a pin cushion.
So I did - I made the hat out of a TP roll and some some thicker card stock for the brim, with some tape, and many many layers of tissue so that it would be pretty stiff and firm. I mean MANY layers. I bent and formed it as I went along. I left the top off for the pin cushion part of it.
After I was happy with the shaping, I painted and decorated it. I went for a purply/black distressed look with some stampings for a bit of texture and interest. I was thinking of flocking or molding paste with a damask print, but it was not working out when I tried - too much curvature, too small a space.
After the outer layers of paint and ink dried, I added a felt top. I added some paint to make it match the sides more. Inside, I stuffed a layer of steel wool and batting. The steel wool to help sharpen the pins as they are used. I then added cardboard and tissue to the bottom to seal it in, and painted it to match. But I was not happy with how it looked then - it just didn't look right to me for some reason.
So in the end, I did add a matching matchbox to the base - it looks better with the hat on platform anyways, and now there is a small bit of storage beneath for pins, or bobbins, or what not. I thought about adding a bit of a pedestal or feet, but then thought that it may not stand up to having pins poked in and out regularly without being squished too much or toppling over. I decorated the hat with a bit of satin ribbon, a decorative brad, die cut leather feathers, and a bit of card decorated to look like the Mad Hatter's sale sign.
Oh yes, and I made a set of pins with the card suits to go with the hat.
I posted a bit more about it on my blog if you want to see a few more pictures, etc
I also don't think I ever posted my original Hatter matchbox. This one was similar, except I did add top to the hat, and decoupaged it with purple tissue - I liked how the tissue looked, so left it like that, with a glossy topcoat, and added black flocking detail to fancy it up. I was thinking of it as a hat displayed for sale, so I added wood veneer to the matchbox, and flocking too to make it look like a stand. I used a commercial matchbox, so I think that this one was about 2/3rds the size of the above hat pin cushion