The knitting club at my school is working on the OFA Red Scarf Project, which sends scarves to orphaned college students. The club got some free charity yarn from our LYS. I used some of the free yarn and also stashbusted a bit.
One of them is basketweave and one is sideways garter stitch. I ran out of yarn for the sideways one, so it's thinner than it should be. The yarn for the basketweave scarf came in a huge (!!!) skein that I was able to make two scarves out of. There is a picture of the skein, with a textbook for comparison, and some more details on my blog.
I crocheted two more scarves, one wool and one acrylic, and they're my first crochet projects!