I decided to make this dress for a little friend's birthday. The pattern is dated 1953 and is a size 6:
And the dress, with alterations made for convenience:
Some changes had to be made to make it practical. The pattern measurements were huge and had to be taken in - and the little girl was a size 7! This meant taking out some of the poofy gather in the skirt but it made the dress a lot easier to sew and to wear.
The back closure was made for buttons or snaps, and I changed that to a zipper. I added the bow sashes on the sides instead of a cummberbund and bustle. I also incorporated a simple gathered, trimmed petticoat into the lining of the dress. The petticoat the pattern illustrations called for would have been far too cumbersome.
The fabric is yellow poly cotton with tiny flowers (an incredibly lucky find on ebay - I'd been looking for the same print for YEARS) with white cotton lining. Little miss looked like such a lady.
bodice - here you can see the midriff piece:
action shot (passes the twirl test!):