I don't really like to use patterns, or count things, so i generally wing it and hope things work out. For this bag, i basically crocheted an oval for the bottom, basically stopping when i thought it would be big enough. For this, i assumed that crochet will felt to about 80% of its original size, and figured that when the 3/4 of the bottom was the size i wanted, then i stopped increasing, working in a spiral.
I used blk patons merino wool, and lion brand moonlight mohair in tundra, the lining is a blk polyester, i added a metal snap and plastic handles. One of my friends, who is like, the queen of all things crafty, came up with a novel solution for attatching the handles w/o stressing the lining or poss having stitches pull through the felt. Buttons! we attatched buttons to the outside and stitched them to the handles inside, using the buttons like a washer. see