Your dress is stunning! It is beautiful and must have taken hours, have you got any construction details for it? It also looks really wearable too.
As far as construction details, I'll do my best.
I used orange satin and free-handed a wing pattern. I made 7 panels and backed them with stretchy red satin. I have a butterfly book, so I picked the best monarch picture I could find and used about 15 jumbo black permanent markers to make the design (I tried Rit Dye, but it just ended up running when it got wet). I didn't want to use a bunch of black fabric paint because I didn't want the fabric to get stiff. The marker worked beautifully. I did use white fabric paint to make the white dots, though.
I pinned the panels onto a black strapless dress and kept rearranging them until I got a layout I liked. I then sewed the panels onto the skirt of the dress - the panels flare out nicely when I dance, but the skirt of the strapless dress base provides modesty.
Lastly, I cut the bust of the dress into a sweetheart neckline and added some scrap orange satin, because it needed a little extra something.
Hope that answers your questions
And thanks, everyone, for the wonderful comments. My ego's nearing the size of Texas ;P