I received a bundle of 5 FQ in a swap, they were all US flag themed fabrics. I have an american friend who lives nearby who will be returning from a holiday in the US soon, leaving her siblings behind and so she'll be homesick.
these two things were meant to be together. It is about a double bed size and lovely and soft.
I also scored this very good condition quilt-store bought, not handmade- in a thrift shop for 5euro, appliques of sporting motifs are not my style, or that of anyone else I know. It got a good wash and line dry, so it smells glorious.
5FQ are not a lot of fabric, but I chopped them up into rectangles all of the rectangles were the same size, I basically trimmed all the fq so they were the same size and got the largest rectangles I could, 8 from each. plus a few from a smaller bit of fabric I had. I went for reasonable precision, without doing my nut over each millimeter
Sewed them together with some white banding, this was to echo the actual stars and stripes and because I didn't have enough fabric. I wanted to cover the original motifs, but leave the edge of each block, so it would look pieced. This was what I came up with
safety pinned it down, so it was all square. And did some quick quilting, across each set of blocks and in the ditch on the long sides, turning under the raw edges. Of course as these things inevitably go, they started square and ended up all askew. As you can see in this one.
There was no way I was ripping it off and starting again, because without tacking the whole lot down, it was only going to move again-the quilt underneath is not perfectly flat, so it was never going to be pucker free. Instead I embraced the chaos with a couple of appliqued hearts on the corners, to hopefully distract the eye from the lack of alignment!
all done..all in all it took about 4 hours. Including this..
don't do this my friends, it really doesn't help the progress
Comments and criticism most welcome