I recently completed an original design steampunk costume for the annual Pembroke costume tea party this year. Each year there is a theme to the picnic and this years was Steampunk!
The costume was made from patterns that I drafted using a combination of draping and flat patterning techniques. The outfit is in three parts: The underdress, overdress (surcote) and hat.
The underdress is made of burgundy unlined cotton sateen. It has princess seams and a pintucked button yoke on the front. The buttons fasten using looped elastic bands. The dress also has a small gathered mandarin collar with a black ruffle on it. The underdress has black poly spandex armhole and hem bindings as well.
The surcote is made of interfaced black poly spandex with lots of gold brads on it. The dress is laced on the sides through gold hex nuts with leather lacing. The long brown poly spandex skirt is sewn into the black fabric and has a slit in the front.
The hat is a craft store hat that I starched, covered in fleece, and covered with silk on the outside, sateen on the inside, and the black poly spandex. I used lots of feathers and metal bits. The metal flower was made from mailbox numbers that I bent and glued together and then I used hex nuts in the middle of that. The hat also has gold jewelry findings that I broke apart, bent, and put back together again. There is also a little bit of gold chain on the hat.
The gloves are some faux suede with gold brads on them!
Thanks for reading, it was a little wordy! The photos are by Animechicky2040 and Sketchcreations