I made 3 needle cases today. Two were so easy that I even impressed myself (I am totally a novice sewer), and I wanted to share!
Using a "reversible" placemat (Target, $2.09 -- to save on assembling & finishing time), a quarter flat from JoAnne's ($1.49 -- could be free if you had matching fabric laying around), and a bit of ribbon:
I figured that I would fold up the bottom ("short" end) up to be the first pocket and insert material for the second pocket. I folded the bottom up, and a couple inches down on the top (to hold needles in place), and ironed the creases. Then I folded the flat to the height I wanted the 2d pocket to be, and ironed it flat, cut it to size, then sewed straight across the fold. You can add interfacing in that layer (I did for one, not the other), or fold the flat into thirds for extra support.
Then I assembled it all and pinned it in place:
I sewed up the sides first, to keep the fabric straight, and then sewed the channels. The red & pink one has an applique on the front, so the front pocket is wider, but I sewed 2 channels into the second pocket. Also pictured (fuzzily) is a set of stitch markers I made for my friend (too bad you can't see the David charm better!).
Finally, I sewed some ribbon onto the inside edge of the "front," and it's good to go!
The third one I made from scratch, so it's a little messier, but it's fun too: Lessons learned:
I made most of the channels too wide. A couple of wide ones are needed for bigger needles, but I should have measured first. On my own case, at least, the first pocket is too short for DPNs, which is a bummer, but I'll remember that for next time! To fix it, I'm going to try & sew a wide ribbon across a few of the channels, at the midpoint of the DPNs.
ETA: Added "tutorial" to subject line, b/c I guess that's kind of what it turned out to be.