Hello, kids! I haven't been around a while, but here's the latest thing I worked on . . .
I recently had the opportunity to (at the last minute) create gore effects and razorblade props for a production of Sweeney Todd. I made 4 Sweeney razors in total, and also a razor for Pirelli, Sweeney's 'competition'.
Sweeney's razors are all over a foot long when they're open (and read beautifully from the stage, I might add.). All razors were made out of wood with two machine screws through them to hold the pieces together. After that stage was complete, hot glue was added for decoration, and then I painted the razors using a sort of dry-brush technique. The handle design is a kind of classic straight razor handle, but I modeled the blades after a meat cleaver.
This one above is called Vengeance. The blade flips in and out easily with one hand, and it has an angel wing on one side of the handle and a demon wing on the other. There was also a partner to this one called Salvation, which had a bird in flight on one side and the name "Johanna" etched on the other side.
this is the only WIP shot I have. These are the Sweeney blades all lined up and ready for sanding.
This is Pirelli's razor. It's actually NORMAL razor size (about 8-10 inches when opened all the way), and was based off of an actual razor that I found a picture of and quite liked. The razor is made of wood, the handle stained a dark cherry-ish. The flat-back pearls were actually made by taking plastic faux pearls and heating up the backs of them with a lighter, then smooshing them on to wax paper. A very high-tech process. This razor is much smaller because I didn't want it to overshadow or compete with Sweeney's razors which are a character in themselves.
I also did the blood effects for the show . . . but a magician never reveals those secrets.
Late Christmas gift, three glasses etched with the logos for the first three Romero ". . . of the Dead" films. I used Armour etch and contact paper. Contact paper is hard to cut detail into! I had to redesign the "Night of the Living Dead" logo a bit to make 'of the' bigger so I could actually cut out readable letters. But, I think they came out pretty nice. Sorry that it's kinda hard to see the images well . . . The last picture is the three glasses all wrapped up for gifting, complete with little home-made shrink plastic (salvaged from plastic packaging) brain, heart, and chainsaw.
This was made for a production of a musical called Lady in the Dark. I made this for about $15. The motorcycle was a "parts bike" from one of the cast members. The costume designer's brother is a mechanic and he came in and removed the engine for me. The rib cage was made by stringing wire and covering it in tinfoil and paperclay. The skull and rest of the bones were made of paperclay. The bike was originally black, so I covered it in painters tape to get a 'boney' texture, and painted it with white latex paint left over from the set.
I work in the theatre. I'm a Techie, which means I usually get called in to do things that no one else wants to do or things that no one else CAN do. I've done everything from wiring Christmas lights to run on a battery (which were eventually turned into a campfire), re-upholstered ugly furniture, sew curtains for on-set houses, and rig a dress-mannequin's head to fall off after being "fired" at by a prop gun. I've gotten quite the reputation as one of the craftiest techies around, and now I've crafted myself in a corner! A friend of mine has asked me to do scenic art for his upcoming show. He's asked me to build a warped tiger-cage (the type they have at a circus), a distorted stained-glass window of a grotesque bride and groom and a BoneCycle that can roll and carry the weight of an actor.
I have the first two figured out, no prob. My dillemma here is that I don't know how to make realistic-looking bones. Horse bones to be exact. (They need to look relatively real because the actor will be riding the BoneCycle through the audience and they will see it up-close) The idea is that the motorcycle looks like the character's "White Steed". I'm tracking down a motorcylce Chassis, and if I can't find that I have a bicycle I've been tinkering with. But the bones . . .
How can I make (almost to scale, perhaps smaller) realistic bones? Paper Mache? Paper Clay? Does anyone know of any good websites, tutorials, etc. that I can consult for this project?
Talk about cuttin' it close! My bf and I are exchanging presents this evening, and I just started making this this morning . . . finished about an hour ago . . . :S It is Link the Hero of Time from the Legend of Zelda games. I semi-based him off of the Windwaker Link, and also the old NES games. The spiral on his belt is opposite of what it should be . . . but other than that I think he's very sweet. He's standing in front of the Hylian Sheild I made for my Link costume a couple of Halloween's ago.
I made this for a White Elephant party, and gave him along with a card that said "Goodnight, Sleep Well, Most Likely Kill You In The Morning. XOXO Dread Pirate Roberts" and a collection of every T.V. guide from the year 2004 (I had a subscription that year . . .).
the woman that opened him first had no clue what he was supposed to be, and seemed rather freaked out by him . . . but everyone else at the party knew who he was, and he got stolen away and given to a good home.
He has a ponytail!
here's a better picture of his puffy shirt. It was sewn seperately and then hand-sewn around the wrists and waist for maximum puff-capacity!