It has been YEARS since I crocheted, and I was never very enthusiastic about it. I'm not sure I could locate my needles. But, I am very proficient at sewing.
Recently, I came across some granny squares that were made by my Aunt's long deceased mother. There are nine squares and they are 5" square. I thought that maybe I could make something out of them for my aunt for Christmas. I was originally thinking Christmas ornaments, but I have no idea how I'd do that.
I've been working on a BIG quilt for a long time (intermittently) and it involves curved piecing. This is a big pain in my butt since I hate templates. It also results in a lot of weirdly shaped scraps. Well, I had all these half circle scraps and I thought I could make them into something fun and this little guy just appeared. The idea for this bug bean bag was totally inspired by these bunnies. I've only made the one and plan on making more, as I have lots of scraps. I think I can improve on him. He doesn't look all that buglike to me. And his legs look weird. But my son loves him. He keeps saying, "Mommy made a little buggy guy for Simon." Now, I just have to come up with some kind of game to play with the bugs. You know, other than just throw-them-around-the-room.
This is a quilted wall hanging I made for a friend featuring the hand prints of her three nephews. She was given the hand prints as a gift from her brother's family and asked me to make it into something for her wall, giving me complete creative freedom. It was rather daunting at first, leaving me to think about it for a long time, but I had SO much fun with it once I got started.
I used Pink Chalk Studio's Wavy Seams Tutorial to create all the fantastic curves. The tutorial turned out to be super easy and the results were fantastic. I love this method and can't wait to try it again on future projects.
I've been wanting a new diaper bag for a while and I bought this pattern from Craft Apple as soon as it was available, but I only just now got around to making it. Since I have such a large fabric stash right now, I made a point of not buying fabric from this bag and using a panel-type fabric that my sister sent me earlier in the year. It's kind of canvas-y and she found it in a hospital craft room where it has lived for an indeterminable amount of time. I'm not good at placing fabric unless it's from the 1930's, so I have no idea how old this is. Maybe the 70's?? Anyway, I love the fabric, but if I bought some new instead of shopping from my stash, I would have chosen something way more subtle.
As for the diaper bag pattern itself, I was very happy. I love how stiff the bag is and how it can totally stand up by itself. And I love the sippy cup pocket on the side. However, if I ever make the bag again (and I want to, but have so many other things to make!) I would customize the interior pockets more to my liking. But, that's just a personal preference thing and the pockets work very well as they are. The pattern is clearly not for beginners. I would have had a really tough time if I had never made a bag before. But I have made several bags, and was able to figure out the directions after some thought. There was no seam ripping involved. That makes me happy. And so does my new bag!
Sorry there's no interior shot. I struggle with finding time to take pictures. Something about a toddler running around and grabbing cameras all the time. Maybe I'll manage to get one later.
This quilt is a lap quilt for a friend's mother who has undergone some life-changing surgery and will be in a wheelchair for a good long while, if not permanently. I figured she could use some bright cheeriness and snuggly quiltyness.
This tunic is from Simplicity 3927, the "It's So Easy" line. I figured that easier was better for my first attempt at a shirt, although the zipper did make me nervous. While sewing the actual top was as easy as advertised, getting it to actually fit me was not so easy. I took my measurements and chose my size based on those, but ended up with way too much space in the bust area and not much breathing room. Apparently, this pattern was made for really skinny people with large boobs. Since I don't fall into this category of body types, I took out the side seams and added panels so that the waist actually fit. Then I added darts to the side to make the bust fit better and took up the shoulders a little. Even with all that, I'm not entirely happy with the results. It's too low cut for me to be comfortable wearing it and there is still too much room around the arms and shoulders. I think I may give it another go by redrafting the pattern pieces with some modifications of my own. Something tells me this is a lot harder in practice than it is in my head.
This is a memorial quilt made from some old t-shirts as a commissioned piece of work. It was my first attempt at a t-shirt quilt, so I was pretty nervous.
I had to use some medium-weight fusible interfacing on the back of each scrap, so the finished top was WAY bulkier and heavier than I was used to. This made maneuvering the top to quilt it very difficult. But, I managed. See for yourself:
These little wall hangings seemed to evolve all on their own. I started out by piecing the borders out of leftover cutout squares from some jordy bags I made a while ago. I then sewed them onto the center, white rectangle. After that, I was going to maybe add some yo=yo's or applique, but somehow I thought better of it and decided on buttons. I reached into my awesome vintage button collection (courtesy of Grandma) and picked out some coordinating buttons and waited for inspiration to strike. The designs in black are all free motion quilted - so much fun!