This Halloween, my boyfriend and I decided to go as Mario and Yoshi. . . I'm not really much of the Princess Peach type. Both of our costumes are made out of felt, which meant that they were ridiculously hot to wear! It was worth it though because they ended up better than I had expected them to.
I couldn't find a pattern that I liked enough to modify, so I just kept pinning pieces together until it looked like Yoshi's head. Most of the Yoshi costume is hand sewn, except for the dress. I was really happy with the way that it turned out because I had never sewn sleeves on anything before. I was originally planning on wearing a green shirt underneath, but I'm glad that I didn't. I'm also happy to report that sleeves aren't that bad! I also didn't attach the head to the body until after these first pictures were taken, but it stayed on much better when I did. For Mario's costume, we just traced a pair of pants that he had and made them into overalls. We had to make the buttons out of foam and cardboard because we couldn't find any yellow ones that were big enough.
And just for fun... here's my original sketch.