I used enormous pieces for this quilt as I wanted it to be a quick one. It turned out pretty cute though, I love the owl! It was my first time doing different textural quilting - bark for the tree, grass for the hills, and swirls in the sky.. I left the owl and the moon plain as the pop a bit more that way.
So we have this bed in the guestroom... get your lols in. It's a monster, ain't it?
We are seizing the opportunity a plumbing problem made to redecorate this room, and one of the things I need to do is mitigate this thing. I plan to use some rub-n-buff type wax on the brassy fixtures, and to hang a tapestry fabric curtain over the main mirror - my question is how to handle the curtain.
I don't really want to drill holes in the dark wood frame, but the paler veneered parts might be fair game. The 'curtains' don't have to be functional, they are really to hide the mirror and get us from porno to faux-medieval if possible. Any ideas on how to hang what might be fairly heavy fabric without doing any permanent damage?
I've started a little (read, quick and dirty, hence the enormous pieces) baby quilt for my niece who is giving birth in a month. I had an idea to do half sky, half a nice green hill, and then applique a tree over it. I found this cute image of an owl in a tree and decided to 'pay homage' hehe...
And here's the pattern on the quilt top so far. I'm actually going to flip the tree the other way and have the owl looking at a crescent moon in the sky. Also the trunk will reach the bottom of the quilt, that's just how big the tracing paper was.
Anyway, my question is... at which stage do I applique the tree and owl on to the top? My instinct is telling me to do it to the top on its own, but then when I quilt everything together, do I just sew carefully up to the appliqued pieces? Or do I applique once the whole sandwich is together?
I used Truly Victorian patterns for all three components - bustle petticoat, skirt and jacket. I did a post a while back when I had finished the petticoat and skirt - it is here if you're interested! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=352905.0 I ended up with a different corset as foundation, a demibust for the better fit with the period shaped jacket.
Patterns are TV101 bustle petticoat TV216 1875 Parisian Trained skirt (as pattern except I added detail on the side panels) TV405 1972 Vest Basque (modified to lower neckline, changed collar, omitted cuffs, pointed center front)
I was at a complete loss as to what to get my bff for Christmas this year, so she suggested I make her a nice long cosy winter nightgown - I can do that!
This is Simplicity pattern 4048 - and my first time with trim that is super obvious, always been a bit nervous about it being perfect. Turned out lovely! Really easy pattern, too. The fabric is that "linen look" stuff, poly cotton, so it's nice and soft and thick but still drapey, and doesn't crease like real linen.
Second finished item is a robe from Butterick's retro pattern 5152 - it's been sitting here half finished probably all year already, and I finally had the time and inclination to get it done. I'm not sure the sheerer fabric is the best, but it was on sale and I thought it might be interesting. Sadly, as you can see, I forgot to cut the sash and now I don't think I have any fabric left. Derp. I'll come up with something better than the black ribbon for it! I do have some white cotton and more of the lace from the shoulder overlay, so maybe I'll make it that way.
Anyways, not as hard as I thought it was going to be, and definitely got a great shape. I left out the shoulder pads, which probably would have edged it over right into 1948 nicely.
I thrifted this cashmere cardigan ages ago, and added the grey lace to the shoulders:
Problem is, my boobage. I'm nigh on a D cup (unlike the mannequin), so although I like the fit of this in the waist and hip and shoulders, it gapes like crazy at the bust. A safety pin would really just give it another wrinkle, so I'm curious if anyone has any tips for permanently solving the problem.
I'm not averse to sewing it shut permanently but obviously I'd need the fix to be invisible. Any tips for that route? Would double sided interfacing hold against the power of a healthy bosom? Toupe tape as a temporary fix?
This was from a McCall's pattern, with some clearance fabric - the stuff won't crease no matter what I do! Which is great in some ways, but made seams and tailoring a bit interesting! Turned into a nice comfy summer weight shirt though. It has tabs inside the arms to roll up the sleeves and button them to the shoulder on the outside.
I've made lots of test corsets (still learning) for friends, and finally I made one for myself! It's a single layer of coutil with some ribbon detail over the busk and some amazing pink satin binding I found at Mood. I used spirals everywhere except beside the grommets. It's comfy, and I can live with the wrinkles! I also made the smock, from one of Simplicity's historical patterns. Needs some prettying up, yet.
I made these two ruffs on a whim, in the same vein as my Mina costume http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=339078.msg3925208#msg3925208 - sort of decayed Victoriana. The shapes are from a McCall's pattern but I built them up to be much bigger and more ornate. The second one is quite formidable in person I need to get some styled shots on a person to really get the pov across, but I love them.
Many of you probably saw this already, after I spammed LJ with it last night, but hopefully it will be new to some. This is my take on Mina Harker, had she been turned completely, and confined by Dr Seward. It was a flight of fantasy, no real reason, it just came about for its own sake. I made the corset, straightjacket, bustle and drape, garters, choker, and the fascinator. The frillies and tank were bought, stockings my own, boots the model's own. I'm incredibly happy with the photos we got!