I worked on this costume, on and off, for almost all of September and the first week of October. The only parts of the costume which I didn't make/reconstruct/alter were the socks and boots. I obsessively tried to make this costume as close to Tim Burton's Mad Hatter as possible! (requiring MANY watchings of Alice in Wonderland!)
The jacket, pink shirt and pants were all originally thrift store finds which I altered to be more accurate. I shortened the jacket (was knee-length), un-did all the edge seams and sewed them back together with the raw edge out....then I washed and dried the jacket so the unfinished seams would fray. I also pieced in 2 gussets in the back of the jacket to create a frock coat look. It looks very purple here, but the jacket started out burgundy and I spray painted it brown. I tried to dye it, but it washed right out!
I sewed wide white lace on the cuffs of the shirt.
For the pants, I shortened them to capris length, un-did the side seams, added black lace down both legs, made them flared, and sewed a ribbon tuxedo stripe down each leg. I then spent many hours embroidering the multicolor swirls and leaves on the leg.
I made the hat using a tutorial I found online. The hat band was yellow satin which I dyed pink! (couldn't find the right shade of pink) The striped patch is ribbon pieced together and some red stitching, then I tea dyed it to create an old, weathered look. The hat pins are made from different beads and metal findings from a bead shop. I created the largest one with a peacock feather, felt, embroidery floss(many hours of satin stitch!), seed beads and a button. The 10/6 card is cardstock w/ burned edges.
The bandolier is made of 25 wood spools(which I wound with thread from my collection), silver plated chain, and various rings and toggles.
I could not find material for the bow tie which was anywhere near what was used in the movie, so I painted black satin...which was maybe the most fun part of making the costume!
The gloves are made out of an old pair of pajama pants. I made the pin cushion ring from a ring from a thrift store as the base, painted cardboard, w/ hot glue details and red velvet.
The vest is back & white gingham (tea dyed to antique it) with black squares appliqued over top and then topstitched with purple thread. The vest was the most time consuming part of the costume! There are approx 80 1.25" squares on each side of the vest!
For the pocket ribbons, I used a kilt pin and tied ribbons in various colors and lengths to it. The hankie hanging out of the other pocket is a square cut from pink nylon. I left the edges unfinished so they would fray.