Technically, 15 colours, though. It's a portrait of my sister and her son, who turned one on Christmas Eve.
Started in April, took intermittent breaks, and finished last week. Software used was PC Stitch. I only used the trial software, so I print-screened the cross stitch pattern and pieced it together in Photoshop.
I tried dyeing 4 yards of off-white viscose jersey with three tins of Dylon, because that's the only brand we have here. I wanted a vintagey, washed-out, dusty rose pink, so I used Elephant Grey, Rose of Paris (light pink), and Desert Dust (khaki-ish). I know it's an odd mix, but the colour turned out how I wanted it so that's great. Only problem is that it's now splotchy. I did everything wrong: used tepid water (my washing machine doesn't have a hot water mode and I only had one kettle of hot water!), added the dye AFTER the fabric is already in the water, and more or less neglected the fabric after that. I did use about a cup of salt.
I've now placed the fabric in a tub of hot water in the hopes that it will salvage the situation, but what can I do to fix the existing fabric? Is it advisable to strip the colour, or just dye it something idiot-proof like black? Thanks!
I'm interested in making Vogue 1022, which is an Issey Miyake drapey cardigan. The recommended fabrics are tropical weight wool and lightweight knits. However, since I live in the tropics, wool is definitely not an option. Jersey is definitely more feasible, but it's hard to find cheap and nice colours here. (A metre comes up to about SGD12... which would be USD8)
The only fabric that I can think of that has a similar amount of fluidity would be silk/satin, but I don't want to look like I'm wearing a nightgown. I really like the texture and lightness that rayon and viscose offers, like this American Apparel tank, but that's almost impossible to find. I know it seems a bit odd that I still want to wear something like this, but I too want to experiment with layering!
These are my first ever pair of pants, and I used the pattern from here.
It fits quite well on my arse, though I was suffering from wedgie problems because I shortened the crotch area by an inch. I managed to fix it somehow, and there you have it; great pants to jump and kick around in!
I used the free Anda pattern from Burdastyle, which you can find over here. However, I didn't end the drawstring casing because I wanted more freedom with styles, so I made a sash with the leftover fabric and started tying myself up!
And I love the way the stripes align, even though it wasn't intentional.
I bought a Burda Jan 08 magazine, but somehow there wasn't an English edition and only the French one. I'm quite keen on making a corset entirely made out of zips, but I need to make sure I get the instructions right! But I can't read French. So here goes:
Materials needed: Fermetures a glissiere metallique de differentes longueurs allant de 12 a 22 cm. Pour le boutonnage, une fermeture a glissiere separable de 18 cm, munie de deux curseurs.
Sewing: Poser les fermetures a glissiere cote a cote, en alternant les courtes et les longues. (I sort of figured that out, it means arrage the metallic zips side by side, alternating with short and long ones? Haha.) Faire legerement se chevaucher les rubans des fermetures, les piquer ensemble. Puis ouvrir la fermeture a glissiere separable et piquer ses rubans chacun sur un ord exterieur des fermetures piquees ensemble.
I made this as I went along, no pattern or body measurements. I just sort of held things up to my body and see how they'd look. I couldn't sleep last night and thought of making something... I had intended to make this dress more grungy, but it came out looking feminine instead. On to the pictures now!
Loads and loads of pleating goodness!
The back's kinda shoddy, cos I was trying to use up scrap fabric and I didn't have enough to pleat the back too. I did add this corset detail thing though.
The corset detail thing.
I haven't hemmed the dress yet.. was much too excited!