The outfit took me about a month and a half to make. But that's including lots of breaks because my hands would cramp if I crocheted too long. It is by far my craziest project!
Broadwaybabe, sure I'll post a tutorial. I didn't take pics of the whole process but the ones I have should help. And yes, you can borrow the idea I'd be flattered!
First find yourself a bunch of phone wire.
Then take a seam ripper and cut open the outer casing. You'll want to keep the wire continous (it's a pain to join on more wire so I kept it to a minimum) so wind the seperate pieces on bits of wood. I would cut a chunk of casing, pull out the wires, seperate them and wind and then go back to cutting more casing.
I double crocheted the whole thing with an I hook. It's hard to start, you'll do a lot of tugging at first but the wire does bend and mold well.
The skirt I made in four panels. I sewed it together with more wire then crocheted a brown border on top and bottom.
There's a zipper between one of the brown and blue/green panels. On the top border I extended a bit to make a flap for the bottom hole. No need to make a buttonhole-you can just push the button thru, the wire will bend.
(of course in my geekiness I insisted on the whole thing being 100% recycled-the button, zipper and thread are recycled as well hehe)
You can make yours longer. I started running out of wire so I made the skirt shorter so I'd have enough for the top. I wouldn't suggest too much longer though. Even though my skirt was short it was still heavy.
For the top I started each cup at the bottom. I chained across until it looked like it would cover my breast. Then I crocheted a few rows. To make the cups "poof" out I did two stitches together a couple times in a row near the middle. It was sort of made up as I went along but you'll see the cup starting to form and can add more stitches in the middle area as needed. When it's poofed at enough stop adding extra stitches and crochet as normal. I also decreased on the ends to form a rounded shape. I did a row of brown on the outside to round out the cups.
For the straps I just made a chain I thought was long enough and just crocheted until I got the thickness that looked good. I then sewed the straps on with wire. For the closure I wired on a button and made a wire loop on the other side.
Here's a pic that shows the neck and back straps.
Note: Since the wire is heavy it stretches. I had to dart the neck and back straps which was a pain. When I wore the outfit at the Taos show (the pics with my hair down) the skirt stretched from the weight and rode lower than I had intended. I threaded wire thru the top row of the skirt to tighten it up. It stretched out again at the Santa Fe show (pics with my wild hair) but didn't ride as low.
Here's another pic. You can see the outfit better and my hair. The cell phones have little screws you need to undo and there's lots of cool material inside. Notice I made rings from the tinier parts.
Hope this helps!