A couple of weeks ago, I played around with dying some of my hand spun alpaca with regular ol' food dye. The colors are not exactly what I wanted, but I'm pretty impressed with the results, given the dye was only a couple dollars.
I was trying to make paper mache pulp a few months back and realized that with a bit of manipulation (ie- squeezing it in my hands to drain the water), it looks a lot like Carefresh and it works like Carefresh! Although my primary set up is a grate over wood pellets in a litter box, I like to think that my rabbits appreciate a layer of the softer litter on top of the grate. Added bonus- it's compostable!
My mom-mom has been quilting for a while now; she's part of a quilting group that each does one or a few squares per person and then assembles the finished product and raffles it off for charity. Having recently exorcised my sewing machine (who knew that tension issues could be so *!#% frustrating!), I need a quick project that would satiate my long repressed sewing urge. I'm not even sure if this is really quilting, I basically just straight stitched random patches of fabric together and then sewed it into a pillowcase. Holy crap though, is that fun!
I am planning on making a sewing machine cover in this fashion, since the crappy one that came with the machine is starting to wear out.
In a fit of cabin fever, I made these birds a few weeks ago during one of the snowstorms that walloped the east coast. They were pretty easy to make, the hardest part was waiting for the glue to dry in between layers, but it was worth it to have something bright, cheerful, and reminiscent of spring perched in my kitchen even though it was cold and gray outside. I took pictures of the process and posted a tutorial on my brand new and already neglected blog: http://tengocrafty.blogspot.com/2010/03/paper-mache-peeps.html. =D
I know they look pretty rough (it's my first time doing paper mache since middle school!), but I think I like that.
Hello all! Following patterns has never been my forte, for whenever I make a mistake or get confused, my first instinct is to rip the thing out and start over again. However, I am a couple hours into Yosemite and would prefer not to start over.
Here is my problem: I am at the decrease part: "Decrease Round: [Work in pattern to 2 sts before marker, w2tog] twice. 2 sts decreased," and have run into a... uh... uncertainty. Counting in 96 st placed my marker between the twist column (to the right of the marker, right side facing out) and a purl column-- this would have me K2tog on the twist, but from the pictures, it looks like I am supposed to P2tog and leave the twist column alone. For this to happen with the way I've got things set up (ayeayeaye!), I would have to decrease the 2 st. AFTER the marker.
Do I go ahead an decrease on the twist? Or should I alter the placement of my marker? Any guesses as to what I did wrong? Any advice? Thanks in advance, Sam
Materials: jeans knife scissors textile marker/sharpie brown shoe polish sponge
Make holes by scraping the jeans with knife. (or cheese grate, sandpaper, etc.) Draw design on with textile markers and sharpie. Cut the very edge of the top of the pocket off. (and I mean just a sliver.) Scrape edges with knife to fray. Destroy the bottom of the pant leg naturally because the pants are looooong. =D Apply shoe polish with a damp sponge.
One of my best friends is going to Sweden very soon and I am making her a "Sweden in a Box" gift set as a going away present. Included so far are a scarf/hat set I knit, a small satelite map (from the web) of the city-area she'll be staying in, a Swedish language guide, some Swedish fish (even though I have been informed they're not actually Swedish =< ), a disposable camera... but what else?!
Anyway, the cage is ugly and plain right now, I'll decorate it to fit my green-purple-blue tropical room some time soon, but until then... does anyone have any suggestions or any rants about how by making it I am trying to kill my mouse? (As in does anyone see anything unsafe that I missed?) I know he's going to bust out of it until I get my hands on some wiring, but the cage is up a couple feet off the ground on one of those grid-cube shelving units. On the plus side, it's super ventilated and almost three times the size of the old cage.
I started knitting this scarf for one of my best friends sometime before Christmas. Halfway through I ran out of yarn and money; just yesterday I managed to finish it...
I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. The colors are more vibrant than they look in the picture-- the green is very lime colored. The only problem with it is... my friend and I got into an argument and haven't spoken for nearly two weeks so it's going to be interesting when I give it to her.