I hope this isn't too much of a repeat question - I did poke around a bit.
I have a lovely dyed raw silk scarf my bf gave me - which I'd love to be able to wear, but which currently makes my neck turn green if I attempt it!
I've found a few different tips on setting the dye, but I thought I'd ask here as well as I don't want to dull the colours too much by overheating it or stripping too much dye out or anything (but of course, also want it set really well so it doesn't stain other clothes I'm wearing) - plus of course, I don't know what kind of dye was used on it.
Hello! Wondering if some of you can give me some recommendations for a good material for producing a small run of ornamental toys. They're a very simple shape, and will be around 3-4" tall. To keep things simple, I'll probably just make two-part plaster moulds - multiple moulds so I can cast several at a time. I'd like to cast them in something durable, paintable, and preferrably not too expensive, and as I will likely be casting these as solid, something that doesn't weight tonnes. I imagine resin is the obvious answer, but I've never worked with it before, and I know there are a lot of different types. I know with some kinds of resin where you can only pour very thin layers, which obviously won't work for pouring into a cast. So if resin is best, can anyone offer some advice? And on the other hand, does anyone know of any alternative materials that might be worth looking into?
Also, I'd love some opinions on this: a friend who does a lot of sculptural work suggested concrete. Which sounds stupid at first, but there are different kinds of concrete, some very smooth, and he says if the newly cast items are kept damp for a few days (so they dry slowly), it can be very hard as well. Since breakability would be one issue, if that can be overcome, the other issue is weight. Do you think it would be do-able to create hollow concrete forms (pouring into half the mould and gently rotating to spread)? If the concrete can be made really hard, this would help with the weight. I didn't want to write this off as a silly idea before at least investigating, as it would be way cheaper, easier to work with, and less toxic than resin.
For those who have made bags for their laptops: What is your vote on the best, safest padding to use, not just to prevent scratches but to minimize damage if (heaven forbid) the bag is dropped? Yoga mats? Batting? Cut up wetsuit? Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
*edited to add extra question: What about the innermost lining - what's the best fabric to have in contact with your darling laptop, to prevent not only scratches but static? 100% cotton? Something else?
I recently found some wonderful pattern magazines at the thrift store, mostly from the 70's - and since they're old and out of print, I didn't think there'd be any problem sharing them I'm sending some of them to a swap partner, so I've already scanned the patterns I liked out of those particular volumes, and have several other volumes I'm keeping - so if people are interested, I could keep updating this thread for quite a while!
Let's start of with this one, a knit houndstooth vest. I love her whole outfit - the hat, the way the houndstooth, plaid and floral look together - fantastic!
Did a few of these as quick & easy Christmas presents (yeah I know, a bit late for Christmas stuff )
The first one I made the bird stencil based on a vintage cookie cutter I have, the second is with a foam stamp (for those in Canada, it's from Michaels), and the third one was a regular big ugly tee where I cut a deeper neckline (and attacked it with multicoloured stitching), gathered one side with a safety pin at the bottom (it's quite a flattering shape now), and appliqued on a cool robot from a children's sheet from the thrift store (I also used a robot cat from the same fabric to cover a big pin to match!)
Hi all! I'm fairly new here, this is my first time posting something. I recently went to a surprise birthday party for a friend, so I decided to make her a bag! It took ages finding fabric that reminded me of her, and then matching patterns for the handles and lining, but I'm really happy with how it came out - I also made a new pattern, and tried something different with the handles (they have wooden rulers wrapped in batting in them!)