So I decided to make meringues. My coworker makes so pretty amazing ones and she gave me her recipes. I tried hers but didn't like the way they came out so I tweaked them and made my own. I can't stop eating them now. =)
Here's the recipe:
3 large egg whites at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon raspberry extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon red food coloring
1)Preheat oven at 225 degrees F.
2) Mix the egg whites and cream of tartar until it forms soft peaks
3) Add sugar gradually and beat for about 8 minutes until it is no longer grainy and smooth
4) At this point, you may choose to do one flavor or two as I do. If you choose to do one color, you need one teaspoon of that extract. You can forgo the food coloring if you want. If you are doing two flavors, split the egg white mix in two bowls.
5) Add the almond extract to one bowl and mix in well. Do the same to the other bowl with the raspberry extract and food coloring.
6) Line two large sheet pans with parchment paper. Spoon two inch diameter mounds of meringue onto the sheet pans, evenly spaced. they won't expand so don't be afraid to make them close to one another.
7) place the pans in the oven for 2.5 hours. Don't peek! I know you want to, but if you do, you end up letting the hot air out and changing the temperature in the oven.
At the end of the 2.5 hours, turn off the oven and leave the meringues in there overnight or for at least 2 hours.
9) Remove and nom. =)
this recipe made about 30-32 meringues. To change the flavor, replace the extract with the extract of your choice. Frankly, i chose raspberry and almond because i had a small tiny bit of almond extract left and wanted to use it up. =) Some of them, i mixed the flavors to see what would happen.