this is the first dress i've ever made. i thought that the pattern looked simple enough for a first timer, but i didn't think about fit. it took 3 tries to get the bodice to fit nicely, but now i know how to alter a pattern for my measurements.
i used an amy butler cotton print fabric and a cotton batiste for the lining. the pattern only calls for the bodice to be lined, but i wanted a fuller skirt so i lined it as well. it turned out to be really beneficial to use the lining as practice and for fitting. lots of lessons learned with this dress! the pattern worked really well for me. i'd definitely use it again.
see all the steps on my blog: http://highstrungyarns.wordpress.com/tag/sewing/