These are my Lucie's first shoes
They were made from her dad's old leather jacket, stretch binding tape and a pair of cut up insoles. For the pattern I copied my own first shoes that my mum had bronzed some xx years ago (that came in handy now heehee)Edit:
kjlutz, I always use my old hand cranked Singer machine and an ordinary needle for sewing leather.
And this is how I came by the pattern:
When I was looking at Mark Jenkins' tutorial for making tape sculptures (http://www.tapesculpture.org/
), the idea occurred to me.
Unlike in the paper-or duct tape dressforms this method results in a thin and flexible layer:
easy to see through (for marking details) and easy to cut open very precise.
Here the bronzed original is wrapped in clingfoil and sticky tape
Here it's cut open (along the seamlines of the original shoe) and laid out flat
This is what the final pattern drawn on thin cardboard looks like.
When I made a trial version, the size of the shoe was not right for Lucie, so I downsized and modified it somewhat.
The original had a button closure, and I used Velcro for a more adaptable fit.