So a couple weeks ago there was a Steampunk meet-up in my area and I was dying to go, but didn't really have anything distinctively Steampunk-y to wear. I had my skirt and shirt and necklace all picked out, but the vest I was going to wear over it clashed too much because it was black and also a bit too short on me. So, I decided to cut it and use the pieces as a pattern to make a far superior one! Below is the complete step-by-step of my process. Enjoy!
Here is the original vest! It's very soft velvet-like material. I've had the vest for a few years after picking it up at Rave, but it's gotten a bit too short on me and I hardly wore it anymore. I'll be keeping the buttons to use on the new vest!
Back of the vest.
Yay pieces! I was glad to see that the bust darts were also the seams. I hate bust darts. :/
Back still looks pretty much the same, but new I've also undone the back darts. These don't look too complicated....
First run of the mock-up. I just laid each piece on the muslin and cut around it, but also left all of the additional space from each rectangle hanging down and to the sides where the bottom corners of each piece ended. I had no idea how much swish I wanted or if I'd even be able to get any out of it, so I left waaay more room than necessary so I could go bit by bit.
Back of the first run. It looked so messy without the darts.
Pinned the original back on so I could mark where I'd need to put the darts. I will definitely have to use this method again, it saved me a lot of guesswork since I already knew the darts on the original vest fit perfectly.
The pins are gone and all of the vest pieces have been sewn together, though I've left the skirt part open for now. So far everything fits!
This is after I've sewn down the skirt panels just as they are. They fold over quite a bit due to the extra material, so lots of cutting ahead.
The extra skirt fabric makes the back look a bit wonky, but nothing a bit of ironing won't take care of in the end.
Ta da! This is how it looks so far on the outfit. The jacket will end up being brown and about knee-length, I just haven't cut it shorter yet. I'll definitely need to remember to cut extra fabric on the front edges so I don't have to pull to get the jacket to close.
My fabrics! Sort've a camel-colored canvas and a burgundy rayon for lining. I didn't end up doing the lining since I just wanted to be done and get to wear it, but now that there's no rush I'll fiddle with it and make it look pretty. Seeing as I was on a Steampunk mission, there was really no way I could get out of there without buying a few yards of the key fabric. ~_~ I had also planned on making a bag out of the leftover canvas (and boy is there leftovers) and then lining it in the keys, but ran out of time.
The muslin pieces all lines up and pretty on the canvas.
Everything pinned together. I made the two front pieces extra wide so that I could make sure there was enough overlap for the buttons and still be comfy.
Back before the darts were put in. At this point, opting to go with the suggestion to keep the jacket long.
Sewing all the pieces together! Getting closer!
A shot of the hemmed armholes. I managed to keep everything really nice and neat as close to the edge as I could. The thread was also a really nice match so you can hardly see it. I didn't bother to finish the edges since canvas holds up pretty well and I planned on lining it anyway.
Neckline also hemmed. By this point I'm doing little jigs every time I finish something. All that's left by now are the buttons and the hem.
My machine makes buttonholes! That was surprisingly easy.... Yea, they aren't even, but it's okay.
The buttons stolen from the original vest. Also fairly snazzy looking!
Here it is! It's kind of hard to see since I forgot to move my stupid arm out of the way. This is the very end of the Steampunk meet-up and we were the last ones to leave (even though it ended at 8, you can see it's almost 9:30).
Hop you all enjoyed it!