While in a thrift store last week I came across a Hawaiian floral print woman's skirt. Unfortunately it was a size 1/2 too small for me, but the more I looked at it the more I thought it would be terrific for a dress for the baby.
I had already cut it apart when I realized I didn't take a before photo. Oops.
It started life as an above the knee length woman's size 10 skirt, double layered of ruffles with a zipper in the back. The fabric has a really nice hand. Its a cotton with 3% Lycra so it has a wee bit of stretch. I made Quinn the dress and headband. Then I decided to whip up a little pair of white bloomers for her to wear under it. There is still a bit more of the red floral fabric. I think I will make her a little skirt with a stretch band at the top made from knit. The skirt will be for next year. She should be able to wear the dress next year as a top. Quinn is around 14 lbs, will be 5 months tomorrow and wears about a 3-6 month or so. Depends on the outfit, just like _all_ women's clothing. :^/
Its my first try at shirring fabric. It went pretty well. My rows could have been a WHOLE lot more even, but thankfully the technique is very forgiving. I didn't steam iron the shirring yet, either. That will help a bit. I think I need to play with the bobbin settings to get a better stitch with the elastic thread. I want to make a couple of dresses for myself, and the tension will definitely need more, ahem, strength. ;^)