I've wanted to make a bubble skirt for the longest time.. and i finally did! It's a mini bubble skirt coming about mid-thigh. It's red with little white dots and these fuscia splashes (that really arent as bright as they are on camera).
To make it, I basically put two skirts in one.. a pencil skirt underneath, and a circle skirt sewed on top and I gathered the circle skirt and sewed it to the bottom of the pencil skirt. It was a lot easier than i thought it would be. I gotta say I'm proud of how it turned out!
here are the pics:
what do you think?
**new tutorial: i hope its clear
-get about 1.5 metres of the fabric of your choice.. the stiffer the fabric, the more "poof" it will have.
1. measure your hips, and add about 2 inches to that measurement. cut a rectangle to that length, and have the width about an inch or two shorter than you want your skirt to be. sew the 2 sides so that you end up with a tube.
2. now measure your waist (or where you want you skirt to sit) and cut a band of fabric to this length with a width of 4 inches and put it aside.
3. make a circle skirt.
take your fabric, fold in in half, and fold it in half again. divide your waist measurement by four and cut a quarter circle to this measurement so that when you open it up, your fabric will have a hole in the middle that will fit your waist (but dont open it up yet!) . measure how long you want the skirt to be and cut around the 1/4 circle making sure it stays an equal length away from it. now open it up. you should have a donut of fabric.
4. sew the tube from step 1 to the circle skirt from step 3. you should end up with a skirt that fits you closely with a longer, flowy one on top.
5. now sew on the band of fabric from step 2 to make the waistband. hem the edge.
6. gather or "ruche" the flowy skirt so that its width will be the width of the tube. this give it its poofiness!
7. sew the bottom of the flowy skirt to the bottom of the tube.
8. Voila! you're done!